I want my irrigation license!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scott

The laws not flawed in any way or shape. It is designed so people can work with an experience applicator and learn the tricks of the trade. As a general rule you don't see Florida CPO asking the same dumb questions you see other state's CPO asking because they have training. Florida is the bug capital of America and as such we don't want every Tom Dick & Harry applying toxic chemicals without some kind of training

If in fact the pesticide license in Florida was given away in cracker jack boxes like the rest on the states, Florida CPO's would be low balling price just like the Yankees do. Hello we get $ 15.00 a thousand they are lucky to get $ 5.00 a thousand for the same work.

Yep you have to work for it, but the reward is a more income for less work than cutting grass. Sorry But the average Yard Boy doesn't have what it takes to get there. Maybe that why they are Yard Boys.

PS. I have offered to train people and get them a commercial pesticide license, so don't blame me. The same Yard Boys who ***** about the law are the same Yard Boys won't take me up on helping them get a license.

BTW WHY do I have to move to help you??

hort101 likes this.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scott

While I want to believe you are joking, the more I think about your request for ME TO MOVE TO HELP YOU, the madder I get. It represents the attitude of selfish Yard Boy who expects everything to be handed to him for free. Then you Complain about the Law because it doesn't let you skate by with no effort on your part. How is this not like the people on welfare and food stamp who just slide by on government hand out.

3. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

seems to me that the test ought to be what makes sure the contractor knows his stuff.

after all, that IS what tests are for...

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that too, but evidently that is not the purpose. Give the tests free of charge and after passing the written sections then have the person work on a few systems. This is not brain surgery or rocket science. In the building industry the ultimate judge of workmanship is supposed to be the inspector, so it should not matter who does the work. But we know that licensing is really to limit competition and increase profits. If the tests were too hard many current contractors would be out of business. It is also to bring revenue to government and to the well connected educational industry.

5. melsauto

melsauto LawnSite Member

Florida is a joke you need 3 years experience to install lawn sprinkler system. I see 2000 or more mechanics with no license or qualifications working on cars in Orlando. Florida does not have any vehicle inspection or emission regulation. Tow trucks are always busy in Orlando and incompetent mechanics performing repairs.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Then come to Hawaii. Mechanics are highly regulated and there is an annual inspection process for vehicles that is an intrusive joke that does not check anything. My evidence of that is seen stalled cars adding to our already horrendous traffic with the pass decal on their bumper. Hawaii required that the decal be on the back bumper so a cop following someone can cite just for that.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I do take issue with unlicensed AKA untrained individuals operating under the guise of just trying to make a living. I did my time and paid my dues while trying to build the rest of my company. Florida is almost an island. Poor systems waste our limited fresh water. On the pest side, improper application ends up in our water. Plenty of hack evidence in every discipline on this site. Flipside I make a great living fixing others foul ups.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  8. flashsmith

flashsmith LawnSite Member

While I do have my license.Toro, Hunter, Rainbird certified etc.. I do not do installs only service work.. For the amount of time and labor and low profit margin its just not worth it to me.In our state FL. Its not required by law to be licensed to do service work. It only applies if you are tying into a muni line and installing a bfp device. As that has to be inspected and signed off on. Anything on the downstream side is fair game for anyone. I don't know of too many lawn guys working in irrigation in my area other than me. I only mow 4 days a week and take irrigation work the other day. Its way more profitable but its hit or miss some weeks I will say another week like this and im done mowing other times its pretty slow.