Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
596 Posts
If you use Animated Lighting most eveything is pre-programmed. LOR takes all the time to program. AL is fairly plug and play.

That's whythe AL stuff is more money!

-Light O Rama
-Animated Lighting
And there's several software packages that can help you animate.

Check out planetchristmas.com forums.

There's lots of options out there to animate, but good a MUSIC background and decent computer knowledge is necessary. Oh, and TIME and MONEY. Figure 3 to 4 hours for an experienced person to animate ONE song, and that's with only 48 to 64 channels. Most people start with 32 to 64 channels (each controller typically controls 16). Figure about $1,000 to get started with 64 channels, that's 4 controlers, the software, and transmitter for the radio. The lights and miles of cords ar much much extra...

I'd LOVE to animate my place, but I just don't have the knowledge of music nor the patience to sit down and listen to a christmas song beat by beat hundreds of times in a row...

In the meantime I use a "Lights and sounds of Christmas" controler like Deep Green mentioned. I added SSR's (solid state relays) this summer to boost the amperage of lights I can control from 12 amps to about 45. I used it last year and was pretty happy with the results. It's "plug and play", literally... But it takes time to figure out what to plug into what outlet to give you the best effects.

· Registered
2,840 Posts
If you use Animated Lighting most eveything is pre-programmed. LOR takes all the time to program. AL is fairly plug and play.

That's whythe AL stuff is more money!
Dont say that too loud. I like to make it sound as complicated as possible.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
LOL, that is how we sell everything isn't it?

I like the idea of plug and go, it keeps it simpler for not only me now but the guys later on... I take it the customers pay for these as well like they do with the lights?

Are you seeing a big push for halloween? Do you light the house similar to what you do for christmas? C9's and such or is it more webs, and actual decorative type stuff... a strobe and some sound?

· Registered
3,729 Posts
This hurt my eyes to watch on a 3 inch window screen on my laptop. I cannot imagine it in person.

Sorry to go the other way on this, but these type of displays do several negative things-

1, it turns off the market that consistantly buys Christmas lights at a price that is profitable. The upper 2 % would never do this in thier neighborhood.
2, it creates publicity that this is what you do. TV crews will show up. So you will get tons of folks that want this, and i am estimating 20-30 hours each year to set this display up, and the cost will have to be 1300-1600 per year to be profitable for you. the people that want this won't/can't pay it.
3 Instead of getting more customers in a neighborhood, the neighbors will dislike you. the traffic, and the massive amount of blinking lights will create ememies. They will get on TV the first or second year. count on it.
4 the more complex a lighting system is, the more things that can go wrong. I'd plan on triple the number of service calls.

I've looked into doing these type of displays and it just goes against sound business policy-I try to do work that magnifies the positives and minimizes the negatives. There is too many negatives associated with this type work.

· Registered
2,319 Posts
"This hurt my eyes to watch on a 3 inch window screen on my laptop. I cannot imagine it in person".

David might be right but still very cool.

· Registered
596 Posts
It really is more of a non-residential product. The only folks that ever ask about it are cities and businesses. They are also the only people that can afford it! If homeowners want it, they go buy the stuff themselfs and do it as a hobby.

It really is simpler to set up than you think. I have four dancing mini trees that are 4 ft that run on 16 channels. It took about 1.5 hours to make the trees (48 sets of lights total) and it takes about 10 mins to plug everything in and press GO. I have about $1200 into them with speakers, and I have already sold one set and plan on selling a few more for $1800. So $600 for two hours of work! This is something we just sell, not install/service...

· Banned
3,338 Posts
I have never really visited this forum, but my reaction to this video was this:

If I were to drive by and see this and not hear the music, I'd be thinking somebody better call an exorcist!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.