Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
at least you werent assaulted by a client's neighbor.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A few years ago I ran over an under ground hive with a mower. I must have been stung 10 times right above my work boots and my hands. The bees were attacking by boots too and the mower. :realmad:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I hate ground nesting Yellow Jackets.

I keep a can of spray on the trailer for them now.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Could have been much worse. You could have been stung many more times or been allergic to bee stings like I am. Try to look at the positive. Hope you feel better soon.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yesterday,

After I got off my full time job, I started at about 2:00 and was weed eating at my 1st account, (my great-grandmothers thankfully). and got hit by 10 hornets that made me stop working for the rest of the day. I hope to never get hit by one of those again, and hope no-one else ever does.

Luckily it does not seem that I am allergic to them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gravely_Man......Thanks,i am better now. I was trimming low branches off a tree when the first bee stung me on my eye brow.I went back to pick up the branches 5 minutes later and was then stung on the hand. I used an old remedy of putting mud on the stung areas every hour or so.This morning,my eye was more swollen than yesterday,but ,i am fine now.Thank God I am not allergic. My dad was in the business years ago,and he was allergic.I remember one time he got stung over his eye,and an hour later,his eye swelled shut. We later had to carry needles for him in case he was stung again. It really is a serious thing if you are allergic as I am sure you know.Hope you never get stung.

glenjr10....Are you kidding? Ten hornets?? Damn,that must have hurt bad! Five years ago,a hornet stung me and I will never forget that nasty buzzing while he was drilling into me. They are worse than yellow jackets! Did you swell up bad or what?

·
Registered
486 Posts
ZX12R; feeling your pain brother! I got drilled last Sat. trimming next to a silt fence that had fallen over.I stepped on the silt fence right where a nest of yellow jackets were.2 of by clients watched as a ran like a bat outta ----. got hit on the shoulder and back.still have 2 big red spots.

·
Banned
352 Posts
:) Been lucky so far this yr, haven't been stung or bitten by any spiders, just those late evening mosquito's. Hope your feeling better, i usually get hit by them ground nesting Yellow Jackets every yr.........Marks Mowing Service

·
Registered
791 Posts
Some of youz arn't going to like this but the best thing to stop the pain of any bite is to pi*s on it. Yep thats right Urine hold a natural antiseptic so next time you get stung all you need to do is get the jewels out .

If your not happy with your work you may as well stay in bed:sleeping:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a new yard with a bee hive in the siding of the house. My helper was stung five times before he could get out of the area. When I finally noticed his mower was not running I went to find out why and saw the damage. The bees tried to get me while I was getting my equipment back to the truck, but luckily did not get hurt. I called the customer and said there was a problem with bees, they told me they knew about them already. Then they commented that maybe they should have said something to me when I accepted the job. I told them that would have been nice since bees do not like string trimmers or mowers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've gotten it 3 times in the past 2 weeks, twice today on a new property, I unloaded two cans on those yellow devils and they still would not die. Unfortunately I was using an old exmark without a kill switch so I had to run back in and shut it off before it took out a row of hedges. Boy I love the summer in Georgia!!!! NOT!

·
Registered
102 Posts
For real though...........how do you safely get rid of a hornets nest. I have one property with a football sized nest on the eve of the house........property is foreclosed.............I started to pull out the .40 yesterday and hit it but didn't think I could get the angle jjjjjjjjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssst right. Also I don't think I could have got back in the truck faster than they could have figured out that I did it. It kinda sucks cause theres no way to get it with spray either..........and by the way.........how do hornets attack, one by one or swarm by swarm?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was mowing on Friday and got stung in the lip. Lots of fun! The little b*stards swarmed around my mower from an underground hive. They sure love that dry ground. I had my bagger on, so I think they were mad that I sucked/chopped up some of their friends.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was working with the bosses daughter one day weeding and ther was a wasp nest in the ground. She pulled out a big weed that was right over the nest and hundreds of these wasps came flying out of the ground. Started swarming her real bad. I think she got stung 12 or 15 times, all over. she was working in shorts and a tank shirt and got stung on her legs, body, arms, all over. Damn, that was 1 tough chick, 30 min later, she was back out there working again!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.