Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is that the 5 year survival rate for my cancer is around 85% for my demographic (middle aged male).
I'll have to have my thyroid removed as well as several lymph-nodes in my neck, but I should get through this just fine. doc says it's very treatable until it moves out of the lymph-nodes, and it appears they found it in time.

Cancer does not run in my family. I am the first person in my family to have any form of cancer outside of skin cancer that I know of on both sides. My ENT thinks my cancer is from exposure to herbicides, particularly glyphosate.

I will fully admit that I was not great with PPE in my first job in this industry many years ago. Never wore gloves, no masks, and didn't even wash the stuff off my hands after mixing. I was a typical 20 year old kid that thought he was invincible.

I'm not posting this to start an argument in regards to if glyphosate does indeed cause certain cancers. I'm posting this as a reminder to use PPE. I'm posting this as a reminder to be confrontational with co-workers and employees that do not use PPE,

Be safe out there friends. My cancer may just be luck of the draw, but it could be from my own carelessness in my youth. Better safe than sorry. Share my story please

·
Registered
526 Posts
I will fully admit that I was not great with PPE in my first job in this industry many years ago. Never wore gloves, no masks, and didn't even wash the stuff off my hands after mixing. I was a typical 20 year old kid that thought he was invincible.
As were most all of those over the age of 35 or so.

Wishing you the best in your treatment. Stay positive and do as you are told. Today's cancer treatments are lightyears ahead of what they were only a few years ago.

·
Registered
36,321 Posts
The good news is that the 5 year survival rate for my cancer is around 85% for my demographic (middle aged male).
I'll have to have my thyroid removed as well as several lymph-nodes in my neck, but I should get through this just fine. doc says it's very treatable until it moves out of the lymph-nodes, and it appears they found it in time.

Cancer does not run in my family. I am the first person in my family to have any form of cancer outside of skin cancer that I know of on both sides. My ENT thinks my cancer is from exposure to herbicides, particularly glyphosate.

I'm not posting this to start an argument in regards to if glyphosate does indeed cause certain cancers. I'm posting this as a reminder to use PPE. I'm posting this as a reminder to be confrontational with co-workers and employees that do not use PPE,

Be safe out there friends. My cancer may just be luck of the draw, but it could be from my own carelessness in my youth. Better safe than sorry. Share my story please
Great reminder and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As were most all of those over the age of 35 or so.

Wishing you the best in your treatment. Stay positive and do as you are told. Today's cancer treatments are lightyears ahead of what they were only a few years ago.
My doc said I he same.

My surgery will be light years ahead of what was available just 20 years ago.

They danger comes in the form of it jumping to the lungs, liver or bones. I have no symptoms of distant spread. I'm very thankful for that. This was spotted randomly by an unrelated c-scan. Doc says he's very confident it hasn't spread. Will find out next week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MLT here. If it metastasizes from the lymph nodes you have a serious problem. If excision of the lymph nodes is successful…you’ll be fine. You have to be very faithful in your follow up care though….you need to be tested a couple times a year for 5 yrs before you can consider yourself cured….follow up is key.
wishing you the best outcome possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Thanks for the reminder and heck yeh, you will beat it and Fxxk cancer!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What caused you to get this checked out? Swelling in the neck? Routine check up? Something else?

What stage cancer? Have they determined how long into this you are until you caught it?
I had a chronic cough and trouble with food getting stuck in my throat. A 3.5 centimeter nodule in my thyroid was the cause.

I'm stage 2
85% survival rate, but my doc says I'm probably much higher than that, as it appears my cancer is very slow growing. He said that in his experience, deadly cancers of this type are very aggressive and tend to already be widely spread by the time they're discovered.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MLT here. If it metastasizes from the lymph nodes you have a serious problem. If excision of the lymph nodes is successful…you’ll be fine. You have to be very faithful in your follow up care though….you need to be tested a couple times a year for 5 yrs before you can consider yourself cured….follow up is key.
wishing you the best outcome possible.
This is what the doc told me when discussing my biopsy results. He says I'm fine until it moves to a distant part of my body, particularly the lungs. It's apparently pretty rare in the early stages of my cancer, but it can happen. The prognosis is not good if that's where I'm at. Like my life is a coin flip. Doc sees no signs of that though. I'll know this week.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts