Lawn Care Forum banner

I was wrong about Sea Foam

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  herler 
#1 ·
I have to admit it, I was dubious about the claims of Sea foam being so special. Well, I tried it on a couple of old neglected machines that had been given to me but I couldn't get running with regular carb cleaner. I simply dumped some sea foam in the inlet, let them rip, and within a couple of pulls both old crummy engines started up.

I just bought a case on Amazon.

#5 ·
SNAKE OIL.....

Seems the only people that CLAIM to get results from this stuff.....
1)...don't have a clue how a carburetor works...
2)...don't have a clue as to the problem that this potion actually fixed...if any...
3)...its true....there's another SUCKER born every day....

#6 ·
SNAKE OIL.....

2)...don't have a clue as to the problem that this potion actually fixed...if any...
i agree i have not had one case as to where this stuff has worked for cleaning a gunked up carb.

#7 ·
The hype that sells this stuff is preventative maintenance...
The idea being...if you use this stuff and nothing happens to your carb...it must be working..
Probably originally thought up by an insurance salesman...

#8 ·
SNAKE OIL.....

Maybe so. All I know is that a generator that had been sitting way too long would not start no matter what I did until after I got a generous dose of Sea Foam into the carburetor bowl and let it sit over night. I had tried cleaning the varnish out of the jet before using it, but could not get it clean enough to run. Sure, there are other solvents I could have used to dissolve the varnish, but Sea Foam worked. I have since used it on other engines that were showing signs of carburetor gum up and found it got them back running fine. It's not a cure-all, but if it is going to work it is quick and easy and not too expensive, so it's worth a try.

#9 ·
Maybe so. All I know is that a generator that had been sitting way too long would not start no matter what I did until after I got a generous dose of Sea Foam into the carburetor bowl and let it sit over night. I had tried cleaning the varnish out of the jet before using it, but could not get it clean enough to run. Sure, there are other solvents I could have used to dissolve the varnish, but Sea Foam worked. I have since used it on other engines that were showing signs of carburetor gum up and found it got them back running fine. It's not a cure-all, but if it is going to work it is quick and easy and not too expensive, so it's worth a try.
Agreed. I had a generator that would not idle unless the choke was on. After 8 hours of run time with Sea Foam, it has never missed a beat in the last 3 years.

#10 ·
I had an old pushmower with a 4 1/2 hp briggs sprint engine on it...
It always stayed outside kinda pushed under an eqpt trailer...
In the 7 years I owned it, I never put any additives in it.and it always cranked on the 2nd or 3rd pull..
I think it even burned the water...as I could always see a little in the bottom of the tank...
No Snake Oil Or Anything...Just one of those mowers that refused to take a day off...
I sure miss that mower......Oh Well...

#11 ·
In the 7 years I owned it, I never put any additives in it.and it always cranked on the 2nd or 3rd pull..
But Slapper....... Had you ran these snake oils all that time...... You'd still be run'n that mower today !!! :rolleyes:

#12 ·
But Slapper....... Had you ran these snake oils all that time...... You'd still be run'n that mower today !!! :rolleyes:
As far as I know it is still out there running...The old Murray frame rusted out and I sold the engine...
It'll probably be in the Briggs and Scrapped Them museum one day...:laugh:

#14 · (Edited)
But those of us who know, we found out how to find what's in ANY fuel additive, by reading the section pertaining to its contents as is contained in the MSDS sheet, they can't lie on an msds sheet which is required by the government to find out what's in it, one part of it is actually lighter fuel, but the best part is that it costs $20 a quart which translates to $80 a GALLON!

Let me tell you something...
I can buy Stock Car RACING fuel, 109 octane LEADED, which...
Racing fuel consists of mostly additives.
For under $10 a gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.