Lawn Care Forum banner

i work with morons!!!!

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Cashio13 
#1 ·
I am 16 years old and i have attempted to start a business with two buddies. They are two of the laziest people in the world. they wake up at 2 in the afternoon and that is when they want to start the day. we have 6 residential accounts because they never wanted to work at the beginning of the season. 3 weeks ago we were given a small trailer that needed a little tlc. I did all of the work besides the painting and i did most of that myself. today i had my dad bring the trailer home and they two bit morons missed half of the trailer on the second coat because they wantedd to go home. you can clearly see the red spots that they missed. The only thing that keeps me from getting rid of them is a truck one of my buddies has the truck that tows the trailer. But next year i plan on getting rid of them and going solo. Buy my own truck and work by my self. Does anybody else work with idiots like these.

#3 ·
Dump em' now. It will be better for everyone in the long run. It'll be easier doing it now than doing it later. You can keep them as friends, but lose them as partners.

You sound like a motivated young man with goals that you are reaching for. Your partners will hold you back and keep you from attaining your goals. That will lead to resentment and regret.

You are ambitious, find another way to pull the trailer. Look at the obstacles keeping you from reaching your goal and find a solution. Identify the problem, then solve it. Take it one step at a time. Eventually you will get past the obstacles. Good luck.

Dan

#4 ·
I am in the same boat. My friend is 16 and has a truck, I am only 15. When I get my own truck I plan on switching him to an hourly rate instead of a "partnership." Can't wait till that day. I do 75% of the work and get 50% of the money. I feel your pain:cry:

#7 ·
Trust me,partnerships are rarely 50/50;someone usually does more of the work for half of the profits. People only use you if they've determined that they are able to. Take control of this now-lay down some rules and procedures that are fair to all. If he(they) can't go along with that, part company asap. Friends don't make the best business partners,and you risk the friendship thru hard feelings. Lay down the law,and don't back down. It's your reputation that you are trying to develop. I worked at a nursery for 11 years,until they closed down due to lack of effort on the owners part to go out and get new clients. I've been self-employed for 11 yrs.,work solo most of time, make 4 times the money the nursery paid me,and I love the control I have on the operation of the company.One more tip;never work twice for your money. Difficult/slow-pays...find someone else to do the work. I've never advertised,only word of mouth,and I always have work to do.Hang in there,maybe work a year or two with an established company for the experience.BTW,I also attended classes at nite in Landscape Development. Brian

#9 ·
Maybe your 2 buddies are practicing to be future government workers. :hammerhead: Get rid of the dead wood a.s.a.p.

#12 ·
You could pay someone an hourly rate 8-10 / hour and around 20 per full day for them to tow your trailer around. Get rid of your "partners" and save up for a truck. Youll need some more accounts and then you could easily cover a truck and then you just need a driver. Right now you are in a tough bind, but dont hang on to unreliable help it costs you more than you think. If there is anyway you can get a vehicle capable of pulling your trailer you will be much better off.

This reminded me of when I wanted to start a business many years ago. A friend that I had my boss hire to help me on my route wanted in. He had the same idea of 50/50. At the time he barely pulled his weight. When I did start up I used him for a few days every once in a while and he basically would work at a rate of less than half I was. He has since landed a night job as at the state public transportation facility with benifits and pension. He shows up, works for 1-2 hours and then sleeps the rest of the night in the unused train cars. He makes 50K + and barely does anything. I thank the heavens every day that I didnt start up with him or anyone. Go on your own, later in life you will be much better off.

#16 ·
haha i wouldn't say i work with a moron, but this partnership is DEFINITELY not 50/50. my partner spends more time on his cell phone during the day than i do in an entire week. He calls his girlfriend about 3 or 4 times throughout the day and it always happens to be while HE is driving. Im like listen. I drive, you talk on your phone. Not to mention jobs take longer because he takes so many breaks because his cell phone rings. god forbid he have a missed call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.