ICPI Certification

vtscaper

LawnSite Member
The 2 day course is coming somewhat close by (3hr drive) and Im thinking of going and bringing my foreman along.

We have been installing pavers now for quite some time. We are good at it, profitable and have had very few issues along the way. The majority of what we do is landscape masonry of one type or another and we hold ourselves to pretty high standards.

I am a big fan of any type of continuing education and try to be humble when it comes to my understanding of things...as I always try to look for the lessons in what we do..

My question to all of you who have done this certification is this: Is it worth it at this point?? Keep in mind I am not really in a market that this certification would be considered any type of sales tool. It would really just be to learn... at this point in my life/career 6 hrs of driving, two days, a hotel etc needs to have some return on investment.

what do you think? will i be snoring?? Or should we do it?

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you thinking of going to the one in Manchester NH next week? If so, I know the instructor of the class. PM me if you want. I would recommend getting certified to everyone. Its good to have. If you only learn one thing and that one thing makes you more efficient or a new trick to doing things it will be well worth your time. Unfortunately it depends on who is teaching the class, if it will be interesting or if you will be falling asleep. I would recommend NEVER taking a class from an engineer. My god, talk about boring and talking over contractors heads. Take the class from some one who has actually installed pavers in their life.

NC Greenscaper

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with Tomg. It's worth the time. My class was tagged teamed by an engineer who was a little boring, and a person who had years experience installing. The class was pretty basic though. There will be a wide range of experience for those attending the class so its pretty basic, but still valueable.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
never anything wrong with education. or continuing education.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
That trip will be a $1200 bill with 2 people for dining, fuel, lodging etc. The class will be good to learn techniques maybe, but isn't there an online class that give you the same info? I would put the money towards a Charles Vaander Kooi seminar. This si just my thoughts though.

OP
V

vtscaper

LawnSite Member
Just got back from the certification class. Well worth it. Bill From Interstate Landscaping taught the class and he was spot on, kept everyone involved (and awake) and added a lot to it with his 30 yrs as an installer. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much more material there was on job costing, estimating and contracts...pretty basic material but awesome that ICPI is tying in these essential components of running a successful business...

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Just got back from the certification class. Well worth it. Bill From Interstate Landscaping taught the class and he was spot on, kept everyone involved (and awake) and added a lot to it with his 30 yrs as an installer. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much more material there was on job costing, estimating and contracts...pretty basic material but awesome that ICPI is tying in these essential components of running a successful business...
dont you love the guys at these functions whos phones ring the whole time like they're the most important people in the world?