1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

I'd like 25 new accounts before spring..

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn-Scapes, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

so would a lot of people. :) I'll settle for 10-15.

Has anyone had this kind of success going into winter? Realistic? How do I get them to call now? Any tips you want to share? I'd like to sign them before spring. Post or PM me please.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd like to know as well. I get a few and far between calls over the winter. Outta sight, outta mind for most folks.

What part of MD are you in?

3. Lawn-Scapes

Carroll County

4. HOOLIE

I'm in Fairfax Co., right on the border with Loudoun.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my goal is to get around 12-15 new accounts by March of next year, so far I have 2 new accounts, with 3 maybes (they have until the 26th of November to return their contracts). That would bring my total up to only 7-10 left to go. (fingers crossed)

I try to target people that I might have done one time work for in the past. Even past customers that they either dropped me or I dropped them.

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

10 new accounts by spring would make me happy. I have great success in gaining accounts by simply being out and about mowing......word of mouth, referrals, people getting my number off the truck, etc. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I rely mostly on that, but it seems to work

7. tiedeman

from earth

I know what you mean Expert. This might be the last year (for 2005) that I will be running a yellow pages ad. I get 90% of my customers by word of mouth or by seeing me on the job site, compared to the yellow pages ad. Sure, I do make a profit with the 10% of customers that use it compared to the cost, but every month I dread writing that check.

8. HOOLIE

That's a good point you made tiedeman, about contacting past one-time jobs. I've done 4 one-time cuts this week (they always put the mower away for the winter in, say, late September). I just kind of threw out there that I could pick them up for next year if they're interested. To apply a little pressure, I told them I can only take on a limited amount of new customers each Spring, so talk it over with the spouse, get back to me soon and I'll "lock in" a spot for them.

Well, we will see how it pans out.

9. tiedeman

from earth

exactly like I do Hoolie. I tell them that there are limited space so they better jump on now if they want me to service them

10. Lawn-Scapes

Well.. I'm on my way. I placed 4 fliers on mailboxes yesterday.. received a call today and have a leaf clean up, snowplowing and new account for next year. So.. I figure I need to get 100 more fliers out ASAP and I'll have my 25 accounts soon. :D

Thanks for the comments guys. I was hoping someone had an attention grabber that I could try.