1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Idea on area mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Feb 5, 2004.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Please dont laugh at my idea. I was wondering if anybody else has done this. I have about 6 out of the 10 acres that I keep mowed at my house. I have a 02 Toro Z100 44". I was thinking of buying 2 cheap push mowers, taking the handles off, and welding them approx. 40" apart. Then making a tongue and pulling behind my Z. That would give me approx. 80" of cut path. I have very few turns and trees are spaced out enough that turning wont be a problem. My place is also as flat as a pancake. I know it might look Redneck but I live out in the country and hardly anyone would see my contraption. I dont see spending $1000+ for a towbehind area mower when this should do the trick for about $250. I would never dream of taking this thing off the place. Can someone give me an idea if this will work. It would speed up my mowing time and that way I have more family time.

2. GreenView

GreenView LawnSite Member

Go to your Toro dealer and see if your Toro Z100 44" has an optional PTO package, this way you can just buy a 7' bushhog. If not, I your idea sounds great if you are very mechanically inclined.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

It's has been done. I saw a picture on here a while back of a similar set up.

In a magazine called "farm show" there was a story and pic of a line ithnk 9 21" mowers pulled behind a craftsman lawn tractor. Each moer was offset from the one in front of it iwth a few inches overlap. the whole thing would snake around turns as tight as the tractor could make. Looked really goofy though.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member