• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Ideal Part Time Door Hanger / Flyer hand out employee?

Exact Rototilling

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm very concerned about image with my business. With that said what is the better option in an marketing employee?

#1 Easy on the eyes well spoken mid twenties young lady, physically fit, with a high level of maturity for her age, well groomed, tasteful clothing, confident, professional yet approachable.

#2 Late 40's male yet could pass for 50's - very physically fit [not bald] - well groomed - professional in appearance. Has passed a criminal background test.

My concern with having any male is the intimidation factor when people are home and see people approach and leave material. The older male even though they are fit, not bald and professional does convey a bias of not being youthful. Less than fully vibrant. Perhaps more established? People may think..."times must be tough this guy doesn't look the part for this job?...poor guy must of gotten downsized" Not sure but those are my concerns.

My wife is not taking kindly to the idea of option #1...:nono:....but I still prefer this option because she is more approachable and conveys the image and energy level I personally have with the business and what I want to convey to the public. I might add that my wife wants little to no part in doing flyer runs or the marketing aspects of the biz. My only concern with the young lady is the issue of personal safety when alone.

:waving:

JohnnyCuts

LawnSite Senior Member
"#2 Late 40's male yet could pass for 50's - very physically fit [not bald] - well groomed - professional in appearance. Has passed a criminal background test."

This is hair discrimination.

I would choose the lady. Most the people I see out when I am passing flyers is the housewife. I think they would rather be approached by the young lady.

Interesting concept, how often are you planning on putting said employee to work?

I've thought about using passing out flyers as a way to get hours to a full time employee to extend the season from 7 months to 9 months and then pay them per snow event in the winter. Basically passing flyers in March and early April and November.

OP
Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling

LawnSite Fanatic
...[sniped quotes]....
This is hair discrimination.

I would choose the lady. Most the people I see out when I am passing flyers is the housewife. I think they would rather be approached by the young lady.

Interesting concept, how often are you planning on putting said employee to work?
This would be very part time probably never over 20 hours a week and marketing would end around just before memorial day weekend. The young lady is already employed - basically she would do this on her off days - enjoy the nice weather - get paid - sign up perks. Also possibly be giving estimates for aerations and handing off sprinkler flags. I'm thinking of paying $15 an hour plus sign up perks...

You are correct about the apprehension towards males. Myself I look to be mid to early 30's healthy and energetic in appearance and I don't remotely look like any kind of scary criminal but I have seen on a few occasions professional middle age women who just left the house spot me walking with a shoulder bag .... look at me with reservation and concern only to double back to see what I was doing.

I have another business that I work roughly 15 hours a week at and I'm willing to hand over all the income from this short term. My goal this year is to still work solo from Memorial day to end of the growing season but to literally have to turn away work. Even if I over-shoot on aggressive marketing not too much lost IMO.