1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for minimizing yard disturbance

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 24, 2018.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

4A373B32-299D-4F5E-8721-39749A828DAC.jpeg looking for thoughts / experiences on minimizing disturbance to lawns and yards.

It’s get g harder and harder to find employees that don’t mind physical labor. Our jobs usually have 6” to 14” deep ruts going from the front to the backyards. And this year it’s been so wet and muddy.

Need to make the clean up physically easier and faster.

We have used 3/4” plywood. It’s works. Sorta. But it moves all over the place. And sooner or later it breaks.

Renting those plastic mats is expensive, and makes it not worth the expense.

I have a buddy in CA that uses old steel highway plates. The downside is you need a heavy truck or trailer to move the plates to the job, they’re heavy. 10,000 to 20,000 pounds of 5/8” plates are usually needed. The advantage of steel plates is that the plates have smooth surface, so they hold in place on the ground on turns in the pathway. The tracks don’t grip the steel like they do with plywood.

I’ve also been brain storming on how to make thick hardwood boards custom cut at the sawmill work.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or experiences to share? I’m all ears.

On another note, this year we have started using a hydraulic broom on a skid steer to clean up the packed down layer of dirt from driveways. This has really cut down on physical labor.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Gold Member

Check this out:
    Fast forward to the 2min 50 second mark

zlandman likes this.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

Interesting. Any idea on cost?

4. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Gold Member

I found their website:

http://www.propertyprops.com/slattrax/

Scroll down for pricing. The trax themselves aren't too bad, but the system to roll it out is expensive

edit: eh..looks like the Trax are expensive too, payuppayup

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

We bought panels of 1-1/8" floor sheathing last year to drive on. It's been holding up so far.

The home improvement stores around here don't carry it, we had to go to a building supplier for ours.

6. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I bought 20 of the 3'x8' plastic mats this year. It was an investment that will pay off for sure long term. We couldn't have done this job without them.
    2018-09-27 15.53.53.jpg 2018-10-05 12.00.53.jpg

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

Nice! How much and where did you get them from?

8. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I got 16 of them used from a local contractor that is retiring for $100 each. He had a bunch of the connectors included but not enough. I got 20 more of them from Northern Tool for around $100 shipped. I got 4 more mats from my local Bobcat dealer for $180 each + $200 shipping. So all in was around $2,700 which is why I call it an investment. They were a huge help with the job we used them on and I'm sure we'll use them a lot more.

hort101 likes this.
  9. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just work in topsoil/seed or sod into the bid? Thats what we do. As long as you let the customer know what the jobsite will entail it shouldnt be that big of a deal...Now in one of those pics it looked like you were going through the neighbors yard for some reason. That is a different story.

zlandman likes this.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

Of course the jobs entail cost factored grading, screened top soil, fine grading. We are a professional outfit. Sigh....

As I stated. In the initial opening post. Its not about the work itself. Its about cutting down on employee labor tasks.

And no, we don't traverse on adjoining properties. We are a professional outfit. If we do utilize an adjoining property, the owner(s), myself, and my client(s), must sign an authorization form. Sigh...….

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018