Ideas for minimizing yard disturbance

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 24, 2018.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Utility contractors here have been using crane mats which are basically super duty pallets 8 ft by 16ft or so. They run miles of them under the lines they're constructing. Think it's for erosion environmental regulations, keeps them from picking up mud and dragging into the road.

Anyway, take your plywood and make a sandwich with 4x4s in the middle. That way they'll push against each other more than slide around.

That said it'll never work on that hill in the photo :confused:

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ve also heard of 4x8 plywood that has predrilled holes in each corner stakes down with 12” spikes u get when doing pavers.

When bidding jobs that will create problems like this I just imagine if someone were to call me because a utility company did the damage and wanted to pay me to fix it. It gets worked into the bid.

hort101 likes this.
  3. giantlandscape.com

giantlandscape.com LawnSite Member

We just buy plywood and replace it every year. Seems cheap compared to $2800.

Cjames808 likes this.
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Plywood, tracked skid steer has always worked well for us. Top soil and seed to finish.
    I have a buddy who has steel plates that connect together, he has used them for last 10 yrs, they work unbelievably well.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I’m more interested in steel plates. Buy them one time and you have them forever. Problem is, I do not have time to look for them to buy (used)!

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

D99CD4ED-A486-4F68-B3F5-FCADB7EF93C0.jpeg Had our mats out today. Very wet. 33k truck.

DVS Hardscaper, hort101 and Mr. Jon like this.
  7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

He just retired and may still have them
    Andrew

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Topsoil/hydroseed
    Harley rake for the fine grade

All machine work
    Very little manual labor involved
    There’s more manual labor involved with loading/unloading/transporting/ cleaning/ strapping down etc etc of the plywood/plates/mats.

We’ve tried everything
    Topsoil and hydroseed requires the least of everything

Even with mats/plates you still have yard repair unless the traveling back and forth can be done in a day and it’s a very short job.

zlandman likes this.
  9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Right. I just did a backyard job hauling lots of soil to the back. Just sprinkled screened topsoil on my way out raked it level real quickly and seeded it. Probably 15 minutes and $20 material.

Just about any job is going to involve topsoil and seeding already anyway.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The OP is trying to eliminate the RAKING

I think the key is using a Harley rake

You can get a turbo turf or easy lawn hydroseeder reasonably cheap too

We use Finn but they’re pricey However WE do predominately topsoil seed work.

If your hydroseed work is limited to small or repair type work... I would suggest one of the jetted (cheaper) models