"Identical" blades = expensive lesson

1337david

LawnSite Member
The only time I saw this was when one of my guys put blades on upside down and the digging in is caused by the lift flap that is bent up, or down in the case of putting it on wrong hits the dirt.

Also look at the wear pattern on the blade. There are tons of swirl marks on the TOP of what should be a fresh blade. Why is the top of the blade so worn from a brief use? Because it was upside down and that wear is from hitting dirt.

Further evidence is that you have no paint left in the middle of the blade. In my scrap pile on well worn blades from multiple different types and sizes they all have one thing in common, the top of the blade in the middle is the last place to lose paint because it just doesn't do any of the cutting. The wings and edges turn silver far before the middle loses any paint. I have blades that are so worn that the lift flap is cracked and I had to discard it that STILL have paint in the middle on the top.

Then there is the issue of bending. If you are cutting at a normal rotary mower height of about 3 inches or so and the blades were leaving 2 inch ruts then you are saying the blades are bending 5 inches. If the blades were bending that far then hitting dirt they would look like bananas. The blade looks to be in perfect shape in the photo.

Something just isn't sitting right about this story.

OP
AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
If I had installed one or more blades upside down, even I would have discovered that when I checked that all blades were the same height from spindle to tips.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
If I had installed one or more blades upside down, even I would have discovered that when I checked that all blades were the same height from spindle to tips.
That's why I didn't say one must have been upside down even though that's the first thought.... don't see how you could not notice when pulling them back off.

1337david

LawnSite Member

Yeah I'm not saying one blade was upside down. I feel like all 3 were tbh. Which would explain further on why you didn't notice them when you took them off. If all 3 are installed incorrectly then at a glace they would look the same, thus fine.

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
i worked with a guy that starting using crystal meth and we would stop at home depot to buy trimmer string and he would take about 35 minutes to buy some and always ended up buying echo stuff. With that being said if this happened only where 1 blade is then the blade was upside down.

OP
AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
if this happened only where 1 blade is then the blade was upside down.
I agree that an upside down blade would do exactly what I experienced. But having gone under the deck with a tape measure to check level from spindle to tip on all blades I am confident all blades were correct. And it happened with both outside blades, when one rear wheel dropped in a low spot (left by the feral pigs that run rampant) the blade on that side dug in if it landed in the bottom of the hole hard enough.

I have decided I can safely use the Cheetah blades as replacements as needed for the center blade since it was only the outside blades that did it.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
rain or shine?

why not tuesday and friday?
I agree that an upside down blade would do exactly what I experienced. But having gone under the deck with a tape measure to check level from spindle to tip on all blades I am confident all blades were correct. And it happened with both outside blades, when one rear wheel dropped in a low spot (left by the feral pigs that run rampant) the blade on that side dug in if it landed in the bottom of the hole hard enough.

I have decided I can safely use the Cheetah blades as replacements as needed for the center blade since it was only the outside blades that did it.

maybe it’s just plain old scalping to the n’th degree!! I’ve dropped into some pretty low spots (like you described) coupled with some dry, hard ground and a bit too much speed and left some pretty good planting rings behind!!

Top Forums