1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Idiot proof trimmer head

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Jul 15, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor asked me how to wind the line on his Weed Eater brand trimmer since he didn't know how. I opened the head, and on the spool there was a disc in the center that ran around the spool where the line is threaded. It's a partition for the line so it can't cross over itself in the head no matter how poorly it is wound. The center of the line gets hooked on a groove in the divider, and the spool is wound with 1 part of the string on the top and 1 part on the bottom of the divider. I haven't seen anything like this before--neat idea. I have an echo and a red max and neither have this idiot proof feature ( I wish they did so the summer help could wind line that wouldn't jam up). I was thinking about making a divider to try it out.

Has anyone seen this before ?

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got a stihl head like that.

3. jeffyr

That's a cool little feature.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

The Homelites are divided like that too...except instead of the groove in the divider they have a hole in each string 'compartment' to start the string in (2 pieces of string instead of 1).

You are right about the 'idiot-proof' design. Takes less than a minute to disassemble, re-load, and reassemble once you do it a couple of times.

I've used a Homelite for 2 seasons now and it NEVER has feeding or 'fusing' problems...just replace the 'tap' button every once in a while....it also still starts on the first tug and runs perfectly.

I hope the RedMax I'm getting ready to purchase will do as well.

If not I'll still have the 'ol Homey to fall back on. ;)

5. jeffyr

SLS,

I bought the Red Max first and then the Echo. Both are light duty commercials--I got the Echo cheap as a refurb from Home Cheapo as a backup. Turns out the Red Max is the backup now. I am 6'3" and the longer shaft on the Echo is more comfortable.

jeffyr

6. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i think that is a good idea, however for it to work we need to get rid of all the idiot trimmer operators. i got a guy workin with me now. one time i took him with me to cut grass. usually i have another guy go. we cut 3 lawns that day. guy trimmed around everything 2 times, all the gardens, trees, driveway, i mean everything. i was using a 60" great dane stander, and i got finished before he did on a property that was probably an acre and a half or so of cutting. then to top it all off, when i started chasing him with the machine when i finished, he didnt even know that you tap the head to make the line come out, so he was trimming with a small stub on either side of the head. what a moron. socka la makina!

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I found a head at Lowes that I use. It has the divider in it to seperate the line. It works great for 15 bucks. I buy a new one every once and a while to replace the bump part.

8. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Hell I'm still trying to figure out if you wrap the string in the direction of C or CC??????:p

9. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I just remembered the name of the head. It is made by Suffix. Sold at Lowes and John Deere Landscapes. It has several different thread sizes for different trimmers. Since I have been using them I have not had trouble with the line hanging up.

Matter of fact I just bought a new Husquavarna trimmer that came with a bump head. I used it one time and took it off and put my Suffix head on. I use .105 string. No problems. As far as winding it I just place that bump button against my stomach and tread them line from right to left through the holes. Works every time.

10. jack carson

jack carson LawnSite Member

I;m trying to find out if those weed eater disc wheels I saw a trade show are any good. Have you ever tryed one:?