• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

if a new guy asked you....

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
if a new guy asked you, how much money he would need to get started in lawn mowing only, what would you say? i'll use my area for an example. the lawns average 4-10 k. he will be doing mowing only. he has 20 grand to his name, and will be trying for 30-40 lawns for startup. don't give me an equipment list, tell me how much money he will need to get started and provide a proffessional mowing service to his clients. a proffessional mowing service=mow, edge, wack, blow. also, spring and fall cleanups. he will also provide thatching, slit seeding, aeration, and starter fert. services. thank you

Lawn Dog2001

LawnSite Bronze Member
used 1/2 ton PU in descent shape $5000
New 48" belt drive WB $2500
Commercial straight shaft trimmer $250
Commercial hand held blower $200
Quality 21" push mower $500
6' x 10' open trailer $600
SS spreader $350
Rent aerator, dethatcher, and slit seeder when needed.

Total
$9,700

olderthandirt

LawnSite Platinum Member
I would sell him 30 of my worst accounts for $19,000 that leaves him a grand for a mower and a broom then tell him to take out a loan for another 10K for the other things or loan him 10K at 10% a month, he should make it back in a couple of weeks with all the $$$$ he will be making.

Mac

Lawn Dog2001

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by clcare
I would tell him to drive by lawndog's house and scour his garbage...lol
Hey..I have a box of old flyers Im throwing out. He can scratch off the phone# and name. :D

Zach76

LawnSite Member
I started for under $5000. Spent the biggest chunk on a Scag 36in belt drive. Ramped that up into the back of my truck along with a couple used trimmers and a used blower (all of which I'm replacing tomorrow with brand new stuff. YEAH!)I just rented the aerator and de-thatcher when I needed them.

Evan528

LawnSite Silver Member
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
used 1/2 ton PU in descent shape $5000
New 48" belt drive WB $2500
Commercial straight shaft trimmer $250
Commercial hand held blower $200
Quality 21" push mower $500
6' x 10' open trailer $600
SS spreader $350
Rent aerator, dethatcher, and slit seeder when needed.

Total
$9,700
Id say replace the hanheld blower with a redmax back pack 7001 and spend 150 bucks on a push mower......

Wells

LawnSite Member
Bobby, Is this guy your talking about, is it YOU by chance.

You know a guy, and you use your area as an example. One can only conclude the guy in question is Bobbygedd...

And will this guy be using the ULTIMATE MOWING MACHINE??

Just messin with you again bobby..

bastalker

LawnSite Senior Member
I could start a buisness with $10,000 no problem. With the money I made durin the cuttin season, I could buy a half way decent used leaf vac, an a couple of good blowers for fall cleanup. I might have to build a leaf box for the back of my pick up, an pitch fork the leaves out.

The money I made from fall cleanup would buy a pretty good used plow truck. The money I made from snow plowin would buy a decent mower for the following season. I got 2 pretty good mowers now, might as well get more customers.

The money I made from cuttin would buy a decent dump. I could use it for top soil, mulch, etc... an build a leaf box for that now. Man I dont have to use a pitch fork anymore......I can pick up a few more fall cleanups...

The money I made from the cleanups, would buy me a lazer now, or close to it. etc........