Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah its part of our business to fight mother nature but this week I'm real cranky. Friend of mine is on vacation and he asked me to mow 20 of his residentials in addition to my own accounts(and I hate residential) And of course we now are having clear, cool, no wind, nights so the freakin dew is heavy and lays there til 11am on some properties. And Lord forbid we get any green tire marks on their precious white sidewalks(and I hate residentials...lol)

Anyway, how do you guys fight the dew since its worse than rain? With daylight dwindling , waiting til mid morning is not an option. One of my mower mentors here told me to raise the deck up and run over the lawn to knock off the moisture, then mow it. Any other "dew tips"?...thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
We just cut the slow growers in the morning. Save the lush green ones for afternoon if possible. Never heard of going over the lawn to "knock the dew off". Thats a new one.

·
Banned
787 Posts
I dont think there is really much else you can do other than good scheduling techniques. We push mow what we can in the morning, even if it means jumping property to property and then coming back to ride when it is dry. We also mow the thinner ones first if there is no pm to be done.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Try this!
If it has been raining or I caught my last lawn or two right after sprinklers went off.
Take an old towel and hit wheels just before hitting side walk.
Now this only works if you aren't turning in driveway or sidewalk and staying on the grass all the time.
It saves blow time as we all know wet grass is a pain to get off with out a push broom.
Doesn't get it all but most. Keeps your schdule tighter.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This year has definitely been the worst that I've seen as far as morning dew is concerned and I think that today was the worst. What I'm doing is making sure that If I schedule a lawn that is to be mowed early in the morning, I won't schedule it again for as long as possible. I think (hope) that my customers are ok with the problem of morning dew and can put up with it hopefully only once. Another idea is to get all you driving out of the way in the morning so that your spending that morning dew time in the truck while the sun burns it off. Other than that, just deal with it the best you can and if it means blowing the lawn out with the blower, so be it. I'm just happy that it's not 90degrees plus like it was this time last year.

·
Registered
852 Posts
IF I have time at the end of a day, I will start on the next days lawns. It might only be a 2-3 lawns, but it's less to do the next morning. Or I'll cut the thinner lawns in the morn.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you do a few in a row it's best to mow them one time and let the grass dry as long as possible. We'll mow 1x then trim then go back where we started mowing first and start our double cut.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Ahhhh, mowing grass with dew in the morning. This reminds me of the "olden" days on the golf course. We used to carry a three-piece, fiberglas 'whip" that was about 1/2" in diameter. Before mowing a green or tee, we'd assemble the whip and "whip" the dew from the grass. A 3,500sf green took a minute or two to whip, but it made the mowing process much nicer. I know this would be impractical for lawns, but I wanted to share it just the same.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yeah we have this problem.....especially this time of the year.

the best thing to do...hit the shyt lawns where their just in and out early in the am (aka first on the route) save the think ones or where a rut here of tire mark their will matter.

otherwise, just spend 2 extra mins with the blower and clean up your mess

·
Banned
787 Posts
doesn't everyone do that already, though?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
double cut. Thats what i have to do. I have to be out of my lawns by 2 oclock. I have a kitchen to open. I normaly double cut anyway. I love the double cut patters. So do my customers.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You just gotta do the dew.

If I waited for the dew to dry up down here I wouldn't get started until 12:00. Then I would have to cram all my yards into a 3 hr window before the afternoon storms come in.

No winnin' down here..........just do the dew. Clean up what ya can and move on.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep Homer...this week I'm helping a friend out who went on vacation....the slimeball...vacation after a hurricane when the grass is growing 6 inches a week. Da' dew was hanging heavy til 11 today...and he does ALL residential....what a mess...even broke the belt on my ultra vac which really ticked me off...took 8 hours to do 9 $35 to $45 accounts.....his prices, not mine...not exactly a high revenue day... after this week I have a whole new apprecaition of my commercial accounts....kudos to you guys who are heavy residential...you sure earn your money....and this unload/load/drive 5 miles, unload/scrape/load...drive 4 miles........and on it goes....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used to watch the crews at the course drag a long hose across the greens and fairways. 2 guys would be in 2 carts holding a 150-200' hose and driving along the fairways. The dragging hose knocked the dew of the grass. Impractical for res. lawns though.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried something today that Eric B suggested and it seemed to help somewhat...jack up the blades to transport position and run over the lawn once...knocks some of the dew off...or at least it seemed to

·
Registered
628 Posts
The dew was very bad this morining had to double cut all the lawns up till 12-12:30!!!!
I'm thinking of investing in a flame thrower and dry the lawns manually!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.