• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

If you could make equiptment for this business

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
The new Exmark Lazer Z XP weighs 1520lbs + operator. NO WAY can you keep up through turns with THAT vs. a 600lb walk-behind (ride-behind).

Sure on wide-open areas, the 11 MPH ground speed will pass the 7 MPH ground speed on a walk-behind, but ZTRs aren't designed just for wide-open areas.

The whole purpose of a ZTR is quick manueverability: Stopping, turning, backing and spinning a 1700lb (w/rider) machine will either be slow or destructive to the turf.

I think Exmark is going in the wrong direction with 1520lb. 60" mower.

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
That is a lot heavier than a Dixie Chopper 60" gas or diesel. My gas 60" is 960 lbs. and my 60" diesel is 1200 lbs. What did they do to add that much weight? The reason my diesel is heavier is the Yanmar engine for one thing, but they added a solid steel bumper and the front of the frame is solid bar steel for extra counter weight. The 6 rail frame vs. the 4 rail frame adds some weight too.

Cutter1

LawnSite Bronze Member
My Laser is about 1000lbs. Its a 52/23. I like it more than the walkbehind, for a few reasons. It seems to cut better, its a heck of a lot faster, not nearly as much work, and I look damn good on it!!! Walkbehinds are nice on hills, a laser can be dangerous on hills if you don't know how to use it. I would rather give the workers a walkbehind than a laser to use. You can cause a lot more damage with a laser!!

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Eric,
The XP is their newest model with the Daihatsu LC engine: 27hp diesel or 31hp gas version. (I'm assuming same block and CID?)

Anyway, they have a new "unitized, tubular frame" and "DynaFocal engine iso-mount" which I'm sure make it strong and "vibration-free". But the wheel base is longer and the whole thing is over 200lb. heavier than their other LC models.

Plus is has 2 mule belts to drive the deck, each on a different angle. I'll admit, the existing mule belts are fairly trouble-free, but I'm not sure I add a second. Reminds me too much of a 1960's design garden tractor. I shouldn't critique it, because it might work flawlessly, but it sure does raise and eyebrow.

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
I know the diesels are heavier, but to me they are worth it. The fuel usage is a lot less, they last longer, and the sound of the diesel purring is neat. It has 9 gallons of fuel on board, which is 12 hours of mowing. The DC has a mule drive also that doubles as the hand clutch, two B belts from the motor up to a shaft, all 4 pulleys are 6" and on the other end of the shaft is a 7" pulley with a C 158 belt that runs to the deck. These main pulleys have fan blades on them to cool them too, which I think is a neat idea. In other words, the blades are turning faster than the motor to get the blade speed up without making the motor scream. :)

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
I can sell you the use of your index finger for $100 a month!! LOL Whats stopping you from holding down the throttle on the trimmer while your running it? You have to hold it there anyway, might as well hold the trigger down, right? I dunno??

SLSNursery

LawnSite Senior Member
First off - some of our trimmers and blowers do have throttle locks. Check the different brands Gene.

Secondly - we just put an Isuzu NQR on the road, as a multi-purpose vehicle for deliveries, landscape jobs, and also maintenance. It has a van body (fully enclosed like a moving van). It is very efficient, and easy to operate, however, when the crew returns from jobs (mowing, hedge clipping, etc.) the debris from the day's work is piled inside. I am going to research something similar to a garbage truck chassis that has a dumping hopper separate from the truck body, that will allow a truck like this to have a separate, dumping collection unit.

Along the same lines, we make several deliveries with our dump trucks. I would love to see an affordable compartmentalized dump body. I may check out a split body, with a dumping back half and a stationary front half, or two separate side dumping compartments. This would allow us to split deliveries of aggregates, or deliver both stone and loam for instance in one shot to a single customer.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
SLS, Your idea of a split box is one that I've contemplated a few times before. Is yours a steel body? Mine would be simple because I run a wood stake bed with solid sides. (2x12 24" high)w/ hoist. My idea was to put brackets in so I could slip an insert in, the load. Sort of a[---------] configuration with more 2x. With a steel bed however, the brackets could be welded. I also have split tailgate so I could run it either way- across or length wise. We'd just have to plan ahead enough to know what to load first! Justan idea. Oh, also another idea for this topic? How about a giant crank operated tarp like the "Loadmaster" but for stake racks!

eslawns

LawnSite Senior Member
Stihl BG-75 HH blowers have throttle lock, so does the lightweight trimmer I got from Lesco. Don't know about the new line of Kawasaki they carry now, though.