If you could only have one mower….

EVLC

LawnSite Member
Hello

Long time lurker but first real post. I have run a lawn care business on the side with my full time job for the past 3 seasons. My goal is to gradually grow that I may be able to go full time in the next 5 years and have about 15 accounts right now.

Currently I have a 26 inch mower as well as a 42 inch toro timecutter. I only use the 26 inch mower on 2 or 3 properties so the toro gets the most use. I would like to upgrade to an actual commercial mower towards the end of the season. In a perfect world I would get a 52 and 36 but only have a 5x8 trailer so maybe that can be a goal down the road when I have a bigger trailer.

My question is if you could have one type of mower would it be a walk behind with sulky, stander, or zero turn? Also, do you have any preference on the size of the deck? I have never used a stander before but part of me says stick with a zero turn for bagging. I only bag one yard but I was thinking leaf clean ups may be easier if I could bag them versus doing everything with a blower and a rake.

I don’t have any huge yards, most may be around 10,000 square feet. Any input you may based on your experience would be much appreciated.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Look
If you had
One mower
Or one opportunity
To mow everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you mow it
Or just let it go?
Yo

Stander hands down. I run both zeros and stander. Stander will be more versatile.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
You mentioned a 5x8 trailer, I loaded a 36” stander, 30” Turfmaster and Honda 21” on it. Now I run a 36” stander, 32” snapper sw15 and Honda 21”.
F04DACEC-51F0-45D4-AD16-E44CA921B64A.jpeg

I only added the tongue platform because I like having the Honda at easy reach. The Turfmaster obviously has been replaced by the 32” but the general arraignment is the same.

D7EDCBDC-C135-4765-A00C-5F2ADFBD9E03.jpeg

I’m only new to the game but I have no desire for get a bigger main mower then the 36” stander for the suburban subdivision properties I target.

OP
E

EVLC

LawnSite Member
I have considered having my only mower be a 36 inch stander. A 36 should allow me to never use a push mower. Plus, I have read that standers are quicker and more efficient than a zero turn, so I assume it would not add time take me longer to mow even though it has a smaller deck.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
My favorite setup when I used to mow was a 52" stander and 36" WB loaded onto a 6'x16' open trailer. I would bag in the spring and fall. In the summer lots of shrub trimming so by the end of the week the front of the trailer would be full of some type of clippings. I kept 5 of the large green trash cans on there to make things easy. Now that I don't mow anymore I just use my 7x12 dump trailer to haul debris or mulch in.

Chilehead

LawnSite Silver Member
Only one mower? A 36" hydro walkbehind with a sulky. You can mow anything with it, and it will fit through darn near every gate.
If it was any two mowers it would be a 52" hydro walkbehind with a sulky and a 30" Toro TimeMaster or equivalent. Those two machines can tackle just about everything, and can mow in tough ground conditions that a large Z can't touch without causing damage.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
You guys crack me up with your facts about what will fit "anywhere".

"Git yerself a 98" double decker hovercraft reel mower - ain't no lawn it won't fit on - and tell yer clients they're gonna put in a wider gate - or ELSE."

Grassfire205

LawnSite Senior Member
Only one mower would be a 72. I could mow 99% of my properties with it. My only advice is don't buy a new mower at end of season. If you finance your making payments on something that's not making you money during the winter. Also you lose 3-4 months of warranty just having it sit all winter. Wait till spring

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
You mentioned a 5x8 trailer, I loaded a 36” stander, 30” Turfmaster and Honda 21” on it. Now I run a 36” stander, 32” snapper sw15 and Honda 21”. View attachment 454968

I only added the tongue platform because I like having the Honda at easy reach. The Turfmaster obviously has been replaced by the 32” but the general arraignment is the same.

View attachment 454969

I’m only new to the game but I have no desire for get a bigger main mower then the 36” stander for the suburban subdivision properties I target.
Not trying to derail, but I hope you arent rolling around town like that with only a bungee holding that mower. If you have to stop quickly its coming off there in a hurry.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello

Long time lurker but first real post. I have run a lawn care business on the side with my full time job for the past 3 seasons. My goal is to gradually grow that I may be able to go full time in the next 5 years and have about 15 accounts right now.

Currently I have a 26 inch mower as well as a 42 inch toro timecutter. I only use the 26 inch mower on 2 or 3 properties so the toro gets the most use. I would like to upgrade to an actual commercial mower towards the end of the season. In a perfect world I would get a 52 and 36 but only have a 5x8 trailer so maybe that can be a goal down the road when I have a bigger trailer.

My question is if you could have one type of mower would it be a walk behind with sulky, stander, or zero turn? Also, do you have any preference on the size of the deck? I have never used a stander before but part of me says stick with a zero turn for bagging. I only bag one yard but I was thinking leaf clean ups may be easier if I could bag them versus doing everything with a blower and a rake.

I don’t have any huge yards, most may be around 10,000 square feet. Any input you may based on your experience would be much appreciated.
Walk behind with sulky
No questions

Top Forums