If you could only have one mower….

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
Totally get it. You’d be there FOR EVERRR with a 21!!!

But my dad lives in a place like you described. Huge tree ring in a tiny yard, in front of every home. They mow with 60 Toro’s and it looks terrible. They can’t maneuver without tearing grass, and they miss a ton of turf because it’s soooo tight in there. I gotta stop over with my 21 and clean it up for him all the time.

To answer the OP’s question I’d say my accounts would dictate what I’d want, and it would be a 61 vride. Then I would tailor all my growth towards that, until I was forced to add a mower.

Only our best guys ride the front yards as it does take extra training to be proficient and not tear things up.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
You haven't been here long enough to understand Professional Grass Cutting 101.

Allow me to fill you in...
The largest zero turn mower in existence will fit on ANY lawn - no matter where you live.

Anyone who disagrees is obviously not a professional.

:cool:
I laugh my as off, when I see guys with a Z trying to cut a tiny lawn. They cut about 2/3 of it, then someone has to trim the rest. They could of trimmed the whole thing in less time.

When I see a back yard where a 36" mower won't fit through the gate, I know I can give a very high price and have a very good chance of landing the job.

I imagine they do not have many lawns like that in most of Idaho.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
If I could only have one mower it would be a 30". I would say about 1/4 of the people cutting around here have a mower small enough to fit in a gate less than 36". They can't get a 36" in the gate, they don't want it. I'm not super efficient, so I need less competition. We have some lawns that a 21" mower works better on than the 30" too.

The smaller the mower the less gas it uses also. Which is not as important now as it was 6 years ago, but might change. Less money on purchase, parts/repair. Less trailer space. Can be put on a pickup bed real easy with room to spare.

We do use Z's on big lawns.

Franky8081

LawnSite Member
Totally depends on your market. Each and every one of us is going to have a different opinion on what our single one go to mower would be if we had to pick only 1.

So. Heres my advice. Personally. Its gonna be hard to beat a 48” hydro walkbehind with velke. You can cut small yards. Get through some backyard gates and cut larger yards in a decent amount of time.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
If I could only have one mower it would be a 30". I would say about 1/4 of the people cutting around here have a mower small enough to fit in a gate less than 36". They can't get a 36" in the gate, they don't want it. I'm not super efficient, so I need less competition. We have some lawns that a 21" mower works better on than the 30" too.

The smaller the mower the less gas it uses also. Which is not as important now as it was 6 years ago, but might change. Less money on purchase, parts/repair. Less trailer space. Can be put on a pickup bed real easy with room to spare.

We do use Z's on big lawns.
How do you find the 30” to work on northern turf? Do you experience any of the general complaints associated with 30s, deck packing or clumps thrown?

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
How do you find the 30” to work on northern turf? Do you experience any of the general complaints associated with 30s, deck packing or clumps thrown?
Oh, god yes. (Timemaster) The deck getting built up with grass has always been an issue.
You either deal with the inconvenience, or look for another mower.

If the grass isn't too tall/thick/wet, it's fine. Otherwise, it's in your best interest to tip it, and scrape it between jobs sometimes between front and back yards. It all depends on what and how much you are cutting. You can tell it needs scraped by the sound of the blades.

I don't know of another mower that gives me the benefits of this mower, so I suck it up, and scrape the deck as needed, and accept that it's a trade off for enjoying the things that I do like about the mower.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
That would drive me nuts … Oak Nuts I tell ya!!
It's a gazillion times easier and faster to scrape the deck of the Timemaster than it is to scrape the deck on my 36" Ferris - which builds up just as badly due to having a mulch kit installed.

I learned to love the versatility of the 30" (mulch/bag/discharge) and found myself using it more than the 36". (mulch only)

If I had to do it all over again, I would never buy a 36" for gated back yards - I'd have a larger walk behind for wide open areas and a 30" for the back yards.
(the difference in speed between the 30 and 36 is minimal in most of my situations)

That said, I've gone the other direction - seeking smaller lawns where a 30/21 combo is ideal.

Top Forums