1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

If You Could Start All Over

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnBoy09, Nov 6, 2005.

1. LawnBoy09

LawnBoy09 LawnSite Member
    from NW OHIO

If you had the chance while you were in school, would you take your last 2 years of high school and go to a technical school, or would you go to the technical school for 2 year and college for 2 years. Both gives you basic knowledge of landscaping and grass, the 4 year gives you pesticide and nursery certifications. What would you do. How useful would those certs be???

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is only one thing that I wish I would have done in school, and that was take shop classes to learn more about welding, metal work, etc.

Right now, I can't weld cr@p

3. LawnBoy09

from NW OHIO

I'm already taking the shop classes.:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

What tiedeman said. I wouldn't change a thing about the education I have, but I do wish I could have learned more about auto mechanics and welding. Oh well, it's never too late to learn.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I would change everything!! I was offered to skip the last half of the 11th and all the 12th grade and go right into college. I had the highest GPA in my class and was bored. What did I do? I quit school and have regretted it every dam singe day for the past 25 years!:angry: It was the most stupid, dumbazz, ignorant thing I ever done (next to getting married):D When I quit the principle and superintendant came to the house to try to figure out why I quit, said I was not the usual drop out kind, that most folks that quit were failing, not a high A average. I should be riding around in a sports car with a 21 year old blond right now and a good paying job (wanted to be a Dr.). I will say though that I enjoy the lawn biz, but my area has made it a little disgusting.

6. LawnBoy09

from NW OHIO

So would those lic. mean anything, really???

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Would the license mean anything? Yes it would. I wonder sometimes though if we are put where we are by fate or our own doings. Maybe this is what I was meant to do:confused:

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think I'd change much, other than going to horticulture classes at the tech school here. other than that, and maybe having saved a little more cash to fund a better truck than I bought, I would change nothing.

9. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I would have skipped every college class I evr took, got into the lawn biz full time right out of high school and I'd be bringing in well over 100k take home today.Instead I EFFED around in college and drank beer and chased woman, which at the time seemed like the only logical thing to do. I worked for Lawncare companies in the summer and finnally grew up(a little)and baught into my own company. Now I've expanded a 40,000 dollar a year profit into a 55,000 in this,my first year.Had I grew up a little earlier, I would be livin the high life by now.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i have an almost worthless 40,000 dollar education due to the condition of the economy and changing technologies, but going to a university was still worth it, get the education while you can,....

and dont forget to take some business classes too...