If you had $500 to spend on a 21" mower

chefj

LawnSite Senior Member
What 21"-22" mower would you buy if you had $500 to spend on one. I'm looking at a number of toros, and that's about it right now. I have a gravely, exmark, and Husqvarna dealer nearby.
I have a ZTR and need something for the tighter/smaller lawns.

Coral Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I'm not totally sure how valuable dealer support is for a $500, 21 inch mower. You might just want to snag something at a box store, since you're going to be falling into the 'residential' mower lines at that price point. Not that it's a huge deal, assuming you're just trying to fill that 21 inch 'I'm not mowing 10 yards a day with this mower alone' gap. I've heard extremely good things about http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21...s-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643 for under that price point. I used it's more expensive brother, the HRX, for years fairly hard and was quite impressed. Of course the HRX is also typically a $700+ machine.

OP
C

chefj

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not totally sure how valuable dealer support is for a $500, 21 inch mower. You might just want to snag something at a box store, since you're going to be falling into the 'residential' mower lines at that price point. Not that it's a huge deal, assuming you're just trying to fill that 21 inch 'I'm not mowing 10 yards a day with this mower alone' gap. I've heard extremely good things about http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21...s-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643 for under that price point. I used it's more expensive brother, the HRX, for years fairly hard and was quite impressed. Of course the HRX is also typically a $700+ machine.

I read somewhere that it could be tough on the thumbs after about 1/4 acre.

OP
C

chefj

LawnSite Senior Member
While she's not exactly running a lawn service, my wife's 79 year old grandmother uses it on 1/2 acre regularly, so I'm not sure it can be too torturous.

You're running the lawn service, why is she still mowing her yard? Shes either entirely bored, or lives to far for you to mow it...

I'm not driving miss miss daisy, I'll take a look at it, but I'm a big fan of getting done quickly and with the least amount of thumb fatigue.

Coral Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
You're running the lawn service, why is she still mowing her yard? Shes either entirely bored, or lives to far for you to mow it..

Yeah, she's no where near me. Even if she was, she's just an outdoorsy Florida grown lady, she likes doing that stuff.

I'm not driving miss miss daisy, I'll take a look at it, but I'm a big fan of getting done quickly and with the least amount of thumb fatigue.

Ha, fair enough. Of course if you want speed and low thumb fatigue, you might just want to double down and grab a Timemaster.

OP
C

chefj

LawnSite Senior Member
yeah, I looked at the timemaster. If I were gonna go with a 30" I would just buy a used 36"wb. I want something for tight spots and that I can pull backwards out of corners without thinking im going to throw out my back.
I have a lady that wants me to mow her 1/3 acre lawn with a push mower on Friday, and don't want to use my old 22" murray.

LawnGuy110

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use that exact push mower for the same purpose as the op on a daily basis and I cant say I have ever had any noticable thumb fatoque from it. Not to mention that thing ALWAYS starts on the first pull

Top Forums