Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 18.8%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which backpack blower it better? Echo or Stihl. I can't afford a very expensive one. I'm looking $300 to $400 range, closer to $300. Anyone have one to sell? The local hardware store has Echo and Stihl both for $299. The salesman says Stihl is better for the money. What do you guys and gals think? And why is one better than the other. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would suggest the Stihl SR 420. This unit is a sprayer but with an easy 2 minute change of blower nozzle becomes a blower. This would allow you to spray as well as use it to blow. I have had VERY good service from Stih products.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I personally run all Echo equipment for one main reason. Home Depot is open from 6am till at least 9pm M-Sat. They are also open on Sundays as well! :D Point being, if you need a common part, oil, or just a problem w/the unit they are normally open to deal with you.
I have not had a chance to use the Stihl product. I am sure it is as dependable as the Echo has been for me, but normally the dealers do not have great ours all the time. Plus you can float cost w/the no payment not interest stuff Home Depot has going on at different times of the year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Originally posted by tsh1773
I'm looking $300 to $400 range, closer to $300.
For the money, i'd try to add 100 bucks or so and step up. both make good mid range blowers. Echo does make a more powerfull unit the 650 but if you want the best go with redmax 7001. I have a stihl 420 and love it but it needs more power. If you can afford it go bigger. I do regret buying mine since i could have afforded the redmax.

Back to your question, if it was me i'd get the stihl or save more money for the redmax

Scot

·
Banned
656 Posts
The Echo 750 has a slight edge over the RedMax & a Huge edge over the Stihl. I've run all 3. Now I go with Echo's for the heavy stuff & Stihls for weekly mow & blows where the eXtra power is not needed.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by John Gamba
I Have Both The 420m And The 650, the 650 For 100 dollars More Blows The 420m Away.
John hit it on the head! I have 2, 420's, little over 6 months old. Takes 5 minutes to start the things.
:mad:

Goin with the 650's this fall. Not gonna put up with the aggrevation come leaf blowin time:D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
We run mostly Echo because of a couple reasons. One, a local dealer carries them, and is good to me with parts and prices. Two, we want to keep most of our hand-held equipment the same, in order to make maintenance easier, and a quicker learning curve for new guys. Learn one piece of equipment, the others are similar.

This is pretty much the same idea as lightnings:
"I personally run all Echo equipment for one main reason. Home Depot is open from 6am till at least 9pm M-Sat. They are also open on Sundays as well! Point being, if you need a common part, oil, or just a problem w/the unit they are normally open to deal with you."

Don't know if this helps.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Neither! I don't really care for Echo products and from what I've seen in person and read on LS, Stihl's are often hard to start. Shindaiwa is my choice.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Originally posted by bastalker
John hit it on the head! I have 2, 420's, little over 6 months old. Takes 5 minutes to start the things.
What the heck are you people doing? I have a Stihl BR420 that starts every time 1st pull. Sometimes I don't even have to choke the sucker on the first pull of the day. If you all are having these problems you need to have the units checked out. Even my 4 year old BR400 starts on the second or third pull. Mine works like a champ, and I heartily recommend it. If you get it, though, get the attachment that allows you to make the pipe smaller and then get the curved attachment for the end. For some reason they made the new Stihls with bigger hoses and those hoses suck.

·
Banned
473 Posts
As for the start-up problem with Stihl, it's operator error... I run BR400's, they start by 2nd pull everytime and they're 5 years old...now my employees have a hard time and some LCO's I know do to...I've gone out there, show them how to start these things and by the 2nd pull, it's running...;) :p

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
ALL Stihl equipment is tempermental in starting. Once it does get started, you have to baby it and wait one minute to warm up enough to give it throttle. If you set the low-end to accomodate this, then they run rich when they ARE warmed up. I just go with the Echo. It is so nice to be able to just grab a blower, fire it up, and get the job done. I don't have time to mess around with all the "warm-up" nonsense that Stihl requires. Thankfully, I don't use my saws, hedgesaws, or stickedger as often as I do my blowers, because there is just enough time in a day for all that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.