Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
491 Posts
Good post I was wondering the same thing. Right now I use the origonal high lifts the mulch blades that came with my Metro HP but after yesterday I noticed a few stringers only on one pass though. They have not left but one small clump in some real thick grass (going to fast)but they don't do much but push the leaves.

· Registered
4,956 Posts
Reverse gator (like J-Thomas has) over a reguler lift blade. Double high lifts are good for striping but I do not like them because they suck a LOT of power and really slow you down in tall/wet grass unless you have a lot of power for your deck.The Gator/Regular combo works well for me, the 17hp/52" is enough power, yesterday I mowed real tall sopping wet grass with it no problem at about 4.5mph. If it's dry I can go about full speed in most conditions. I am sure double high lifts are good in other conditions than mine, and with more power. But my all around favorite is gator over regular.

· Registered
4,956 Posts
Einstein and Raptor blades are like a reverse Gator (wings point out not in like on a genuine Gator) as sold in J-thomas. They are maybe alittle different, not sure, but perhaps the biggest difference is just that they are sold by different companies.

· Registered
13,950 Posts
Rapters Are sold by steins, they are used on scags mulching system. Einsteins are steins to but they will not lift the grass but mulch very well. i will have pics tonight.
John

· Registered
13,950 Posts
Ok Stein's rapters are first,second Einstein,third gator magnum.

Rapters work very well in most conditions you will mow a little slower but on the ultracut deck they chop the grass up very well. they also work great when bagging.

Einsteins work very well in chopping up the leaves or when bagging leaves. they don't work well in grass NO VACUUM.

Gator magnums i think just SUCK.

Wood Artifact Tool Metal Art

· Registered
11,274 Posts
It's Stens and you used to be able to surf their online parts catalog. But now I guess you can't...unless I'm not doing something right. There site now appears to be dedicated soley to Stens dealers.

Like John, I have never been all that crazy about Gators. I first tried them on the old Murray and I have a set for the Z, which is an OEM Yazoo/Kees part. On the Murray they produced unreal discharge force and really made the discharge clippings a lot finer. But for mulching w/mulch kit they sucked. On the Z they don't seem to do much of anything.

· Registered
611 Posts
I've been running high lifts with gators on top. When the grass gets high and I need to bag (quite often around here this summer) I found that the gators really mulch it up and the high lifts pack it in the bagger pretty tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.