• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

If you were gonna buy an aerator

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Plugr 850 hydro hands down...I have an 800 and have used the 850.

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
How does these machines hold up to hard ground and clay soils? I heard that they tear themselves apart in clay soils. I have a Classen TA-25, I'm just curious how the Plugr holds up in hard ground.

lawnspecialties

LawnSite Silver Member
How does these machines hold up to hard ground and clay soils? I heard that they tear themselves apart in clay soils. I have a Classen TA-25, I'm just curious how the Plugr holds up in hard ground.
When the ground gets real hard, mine actually will bounce. The tines go in as far as the ground will let them and if it's not deep enough, it will actually pick the whole unit up. It's not pretty but it's at least tough enough to take it.:)

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
Have you ever used the Classen split drive? I'm lookin for a new aerater myself, and I've seen the plugr but never used one. I have used a Classen and it has been good to me. However the plugr looks easy to operate. I have heard from people that these machines are garbage and they break apart