Illegal Applicators.......

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 10, 2018.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

OK guys, I have a couple dudes here in my town flinging fert and pre and neither have a license to do so (they need both a fert and Pesticide license here in MN). In fact one guy has been illegally applying for years now...heck I shell out hundreds of dollars to the state DOA and he gets off scott free.

Do you turn these people in? I'm always afraid my name will get leaked as the whisleblower (when I explicitly tell the state inspector not to give out my name).

2. Miller5862

Miller5862 LawnSite Member

Why care if youre fingered? They are the competition. Burn um. If hes been in it for years he could have had his license by now..

3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, that’s a tough one. Same thing here except you don’t need a license for fert only. Everything else tho, requires a license. Many guys advertise it and aren’t licensed. I really want to drop the dime on them but I figure what comes around goes around, so until they directly affect me, I’m biting my tongue. I hope they get caught without my help but I’m not afraid to turn them in if they step on my toes, ya know.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I would turn him in. You've earned your license by studying, taking exams, going to re certification classes, paying fees & etc. While he's a free loader.

While I would prefer to stay anonymous, I wouldn't be afraid to stand up if it came down to it. Remember he's in the wrong here. Best to have all your things in line though also.

MasterCuts likes this.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to be smart but they are stepping on your toes by being out there competing for customers that could potentially be yours...

Something to think about

Mark Oomkes and TDzacslawncare like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Sounds like some likes to be fingered!

I hear in California that’s how they say hi?

Rockchoplawn likes this.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are they doing a lot of work? Or just a few? Are they advertising services, or just doing a couple of their mowing accounts. If they're really pushing the service, I'd turn them in.

Dawson likes this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You can look at it that way. I look at it like this, when they get caught ir really F something up and that customer calls me, I don’t have to explain why I’m so much higher. Now if my route wasn’t slammed full, maybe I’d look at it a little different.

You are right tho, just not how I look at it.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, that's how I look at it this time of year also. I have seen a couple guys running around town in unmarked trucks with Z-sprays on trailers that I haven't been able to get tag numbers on but I haven't gone out of my way to try...Why?..because right now I'm busier than a cat covering up sh!t...I may make more of an effort at it when things settle down though

ETM and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I also agree, I am so busy that I should not care BUT....
    again, these fools are not paying licensing fees nor taking continuing ed which costs, actually, decent money. The guy in my town just bought a brand new 20' enclosed to flaunt his stuff this year. It just rubs me the wrong way, ignoramuses think they got it going on, but aren't even doing work legally.

Mark Oomkes likes this.