Illegal to put Flyers ON mailbox?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Mar 7, 2014.

1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Placing flyers on mailboxes shows you have no respect for federal postal regulations.

As far as knowing "how to conduct business in a professional manner" goes, I have numerous years of experience conducting business in a professional manner with people who will only conduct business with you if you come highly recommended and your professional etiquette is top notch.

I could tell you about all the times I've conducted business with State Governors, US Senators and Representatives, State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies, The United States Secret Service, Foreign Dignitaries, 2 NYC Mayors, celebrities, professional athletes, high net worth individuals, too many large corporations and businesses to list, and a whole slew of regular people and small local businesses, but I don't want to bore you with all the details about how I've conducted business in a professional manner.

However unlikely, your advice about placing flyers on mailboxes could result in someone being charged with a federal offenseÂ…that by definition is not how to conduct business in a professional manner.

2. gholder5356

gholder5356 LawnSite Member

I would like to refer everyone to DMM 3.2.5. - Google it and look at the .pdf file Here is the exact reference:

3.2.5 Advertising
    Any advertising on a mailbox or its support is prohibited.

End of story.......

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If the majority of landscapers knew and followed the rules/laws, like having workers comp and not classifying your help as "sub contractors" as a good example... we wouldnt have any competition and we'd all rich!

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

You opened a 3 year and 1 week old thread to duplicate an answer that was given in this thread 3 years and 1 week ago. Good stuff. ;)

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Hey it was his first post. Why bother with the introduce yourself thread. :dizzy:

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I'd settle for a little enforcement.

7. TPendagast

Male

sure, how is the enforcement funded?

Enforcement AND education, lots of dudes have NO idea they are doing illegal stuff in the process of trying to run an landscaping operation.

ZombieCutter likes this.
  8. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Silver Member

So True.

9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Legal or Illegal... there's enough question or doubt on the topic that I'd rather walk the extra distance to their door. I don't wanna be the service in the neighborhood that all the residents are bickering about touching their mailboxes. It's just not worth it I don't think.

10. TPendagast

Male

Going to someones door is consider "solicitation" which is prohibited in many subdivisions/HOAs and can be considered trespassing in certain jurisdictions, from what I hear can get you shot in texas and actually HAS happened in Connecticut.

By and large, using FLYERS is NOT a recommended form of advertisement.

That being said, many of us have done it in the past and gotten decent results.
    But its either illegal or will get you in trouble MOST of the time.