1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois web site that lists sq/ft of property

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FERT-TEK, Oct 21, 2006.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that some states have a website that will list the sq/ft of a property. Could someone steer me in the right direction for one in Illinois.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Before I post the link, I have learned that gaining the square footage of a property is helpful but not the ultimate in deciding factors... More than a few lots have considerable wooded or non turf areas that are nevertheless a part of their property, so I use the information as a heads up and then I know I always still have to go look at it.

Yes, even if the call is for grass cutting and the owner tells you it's a 2 acre lot, and upon looking it up the information also displays 2 acres, you still always have to go look at it, don't quote a price without doing so, thou it might be ok for ballparking.

That having been said...
    Zillow appears to cover most of the US.

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

yeh I use zillow.com to so that I have an idea before I go look at a property. I have actually found it to pretty acurate for the most part. I don't and wouldn't use it to price before you see it though. Like I said it just gives me a rough idea before I go out.

4. FERT-TEK

I found that Zillow is only useful if the owner of the property lists the house information there.

5. FERT-TEK

Are there any other options other than Zillow

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your countys local property appraiser website and you can get all the info you want about the persons property.

OF course if you live in a little hick town like most of the guys on this site, the property appraiser probably does not have a site with all that public info on it.

I use ours quite a bit, It comes in very handy.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

in ottawa county , and many more i suspect, you can get the information plus an areal view..... shows trees and other obsticals...