1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Illuminating a putting green

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by seolatlanta, Apr 23, 2007.

1. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I have been hired for an installation which has a huge backyard including a decent sized putting green in the middle. Normally I like to downlight onto them but there is nothing to downlight from here.

It is going to be completely surrounded by deck and concrete, but I can run sleeves anywhere I want as the ground is still uncovered for now.

Anybody had a similar situation - I have some ideas but any others will be appreciated.

dave

2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Dave,
    Will the green have any type of curb or stop around it to conceal a type of rope or similar lighting? Is the deck high enough to downlight from? Then of course gotta have the lighted cup to finish it off. :) What are your ideas?

3. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

Thats interesting that you mention the rope light because I mentioned something like that to the contractor and he shot it down.

Right now my ideas are to use an MR-16 downlight off the back of the house with a diffuser lens- this is not the ideal spot for a downlight because I am concerned that the angle I will have to aim the fixture could cause major glare problems.

Also I was going to mount some path lights to the back edge of the green .One end of it is built up and I was thinking side mount some fixtures to that. I will run all of this through a switch as well. I am sure as the project begins to come together I will see more ideas take shape.

Where do I get the lighted cups?

4. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

do a search online for lighted cup holders for boats...they are little round rings that fit in cup holders to make your adult beverage glow at night.

5. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen the CAST CBAL1CB used for this purpose (it's an MR16 bullet on a 2 ft. stem). Here's a pic with two of them and a china hat pathlight for the entrance.

IMG_2794.jpg

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kingsland, Texas

I think Focus even has some fixtures that they use for this purpose. I don't have the catalog with me but I will look at it.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

focus does have some listings just for putting greens. AJ has them dave.

My catalogs out in the truck buried under a bunch of stuff but I do remember seeing them.

I think all pro also has the lighted cups as well but the wire needs to be layed in the compacted base before the green goes down.