Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a lawn service and I'm debating between a Gravely 252z & Hustler Super z. Can someone give me some input on the pros and cons of these mowers from their experience?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
This is like comparing apples to lima beans. The Gravely isn't half the machine the Hustler is. You really need to demo both units and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I am a Gravely dealer, and I will tell you that both are very good machines. You need to try to get a demo on both machines you are interested in , so you can compare the cut, handling, and features of the machines. Many here on this forum are big supporters of Hustler, so you will get a lot of Hustler hype, but you need to decide for your self. You will not go wrong with either brand of machine. Make sure you have good dealer support for whatever you buy, as any machine will have a problem at some point.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm mowing with Gravely WB and Gravely 260Z. I am very happy with the cut / quality of the machines.

I have retired my Dixie!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comparing at my local dealer a Hustler Super Z vs. Gravely 252Z w/ same size deck and motor the Super Z is a $1,000 more. How come their is so much of a price difference between the two. Is the Super Z that much better?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Again, as a Gravely dealer, I do not feel that the Hustler is a better machine, that is one reason I do not sell them. They are a very nice machine, but in my opinion, not noticibly better than Gravely. Gravely has a very good price structure for all their commercial machines. You really get a lot for your money with Gravely. Gravely was building good stout machines 30 years before Hustler built their first mower. They know how to build machines that last.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ask any of the people at Southland Engine and they will explain the difference to you. I can tell you that a lot of the commercial people in your area are using the Hustler Super Z. Lynn has a Super Z demo at his store. If not I will bring you one myself. Just email me at [email protected]. As far as dealer support, you have one of the best in the country.
Rusty

·
Registered
649 Posts
They are both good mowers, but the SuperZ is a more refined unit. It has a lower center of gravity which will help you stay on slopes and berms better (and out of retention ponds!). I bought the SuperZ, but you should put yourself in the seat of both and cut some grass - your choice may be different !

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hustler Super Z hands down. Speed, cut, hill-handling, support, it is same league like Toro/eXmark, Kubota and Scag.
Gravely is good but not good enough to win or even gain market except their funky 34z. I have never seen Gravely mower handling big acreage accounts in my areas, it takes all day to do the areas, those huge accounts are cut by Super Z and Kubota ZD, it must have reasons.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not so fast about the speed issue, my friend :) The Gravely is as fast as my SuperZ, or very close. The cut quality is also very good on the Gravely, I'd say it's in the Hustler/Exmark/JD 7Iron class - it has a deep deck and good bts.

I chose the SuperZ, and would again, but the 252 is a good machine. To me, it sits too high and doesn't handle as well as the Z, and just isn't as refined.

I 'think' manufacturer's support is good for both brands, and that was a major factor when I bought my SuperZ as well as when I bought my PM34Z Gravely !

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
it's funny, the gravely goes 13 and the hustler goes 10 (15 transport) and it's got more speed...hmmm....right.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hustler has my vote. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.