1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

I'm driving myself frigging nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Feb 7, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to upgrade my mow and go (residential/very small business only) business. I had one full time employee last year and 1 part timer (evenings/weekends) (I work full time somewhere else). I want to start this year out with 2 employees right off the bat so I can keep up w/ new calls. I was going to switch to 2 walk behind mowers or buy 1 new small ZTR. I just can't decide :cry: ...I was about to order 2 Quicks, then I was going to buy 1 Lesco 48" w/ 2 21 inches for small gates/hills...but I think I might just go w/ another 42" mini-z hustler (upgrade from fastrak 42" and use that for backup).

But I keep driving myself nuts trying to come up w/ the most productive and EASIEST set up for people to learn. I had bad employee's last summer that had experience w/ ZTR's....but...if I train someone early this year and manage the business better it shouldn't matter. I actually didn't have any yards that I couldn't fit my ZTR in...most gates in my area are approx. 44-46" and most had double gates. But I was always worried someone would flip the thing because about 10% of my yards have hills/inclines. And even though I switch cut patterns about 10% of the lawns were getting lines from the tires...but a lesco WB weighs as much as a small ZTR :rolleyes: . I wish I had better knowledge about the dependability of the Quicks. (I know everyone here says they are great)

The only con is if I get down to 1 employee again...walking behind a 48" and then weed eating will wear someone out quick...at least on the ZTR I could cut 10 yards in a day by myself and not be dead. Most of my yards are 1/4 acre lots (not always flat). A lot of the new houses don't have fences or ditches so if I have a 2 man crew and 1 on the 48"...the other guy will be done weedeating and blowing and just sitting around waiting for the WB to finish up. When I worked w/ a helper we almost always finished around the same time w/ the ZTR. A 2 man crew w/ walkbehinds would keep them both busy/efficient...but if 1 calls in sick or gets fired....1 guy cutting w/ a 36 or 48" WB would take all day. I know you can't walk full speed all day and I've never used a WB so I don't know how bad it is and most yards are too small for velke's. It gets real hot in Va....a ZTR would give each guy a break if they take turns riding/weedeating (that's what I did w/ my helper). But until I hired someone new or they called in sick...I could let the 1 person crew use my fastrak or riding tractor for the day(s) until I got someone new.

I don't know...just driving myself nuts :hammerhead: ...any input from guys who have run a 2 person crew would help.

Thanks,
    Gary

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know very many company's who actually walk behind and commercial walkbehind, they mow at speeds up to 6.5mph. I just got my new Toro and there isn't a heavier built walkbehind out there that compares to the 2007 Toro's. If you decide to get a walkbehind make sure you get a sulky to go with it. Productivity with a good walkbehind will be better in most cases over a ztr unless your mowing large properties.

3. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Or should I just shut up and buy something since either one is really productive and it's up to the employee's I hire to make it work? I just keep thinking and re-thinking the same thing because it sucks to drop 5-6 grand on equipment.

Peace,
    Gary

4. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a sulky. That will increase your productivity right off the bat.