I'm NEVER using #%@^* Rainbird valves again

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TClawn, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    Of the last 8 rainbird valves that I have installed 5 out 8 have failed on me. :realmad: :angry:

    I've never had such bad luck with the hunter valves, so I don't think that it's my fault. have you ever had the same problem with the rainbirds?

    I like the rainbird company but I just can't understand why so many of their valves are defective.
  2. jerryrwm

    jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,274

    Which valves are you using? DV slip or threaded? Flow control or non FC?
    What was the cause of failure? Solenoid, diaphragm, body?

    Have used DV's for several years, as well as Hunter PGV, Wethermatic 12000, and Irritrol 2500. They all have some failure problems at one time or another. Many times it is just after an manufacturing modification.

    Be a little more specific on the problems if you can.

  3. Green Sweep

    Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA
    Messages: 322

    Yeah, I'd also like to hear some more specifics. I've had maybe 1 or 2 1" slip DV's (in hundreds installed) that needed new diaphragms. 5 out of 8 is a pretty big fail rate - maybe a bad case?? Last March I flew to Azusa, California for a "Contractor Fly In" & toured the Rain Bird manufacturing facilities. There is a lot of steps taken (robotic, & human) to prevent parts failing. Although on the human aspect - they did have a few shady looking characters working. I'd definately get them back to Rain Bird & b_tch up a storm.
  4. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    the valves are 100-dv-f threaded for one inch pvc pipe.

    it has been both diaphram and solenoid problems.

    the problem is that there giving sporatic starts and stops,
    some times you can turn it off manually, but other times it seems like there's somthing caught in the diaphram but when I open it up and look inside it I can't find anything there. :cry:
  5. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,932

    Are you working within the pressure rating of the valves?
  6. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    yep, their working pressure is 15 to 150 psi. the last two systems that I installed had 85 psi and 19 gpm.

    UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,426

    We use Rainbirds 100 dv all the time. Aside from an occasional piece of pipe tape or glue that did not get washed out of the line (thus holding the diaphram open) the only issue we have ever had is the anti siphons blowing off the top. With all the building going on, pumping station pressure is all over the board, so we started installing 25-75 psi valves in the main and we have not had that problem since.
  8. dbielawski

    dbielawski LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    I'm no big time installer, but have put in hundreds of 100DV valves and never had a failure that couldn't be attributed to dirt. In my opinion, a great valve!
  9. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    apparantly a lot of you have had good experiences with 100 dvf.
    maybe it was just a bad case or something. I just started using rainbird valves a week before those failures happened so maybe I'm not giving them enough time.
  10. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,876

    We have been installing those exact valves for years on all of our installs. We've almost never had a problem with them. In the past several years, I can think of one time where we had 2 valves bad like you describe. We just ran into a bad batch. But other than that, I can't remember any other instances of them being bad. IMO, they're almost bullet-proof.

    Furthermore, we do a lot of irrigation repair work (on systems we didn't install). And a lot of the time, it's a problem with the valve. Out of all the repairs we've done, I think we've seen the least problems with RB valves over any other brand. That's why we use them for all our installs.

    I think you just ran into a bad batch or something.

Share This Page