I'm pretty residential, but this fell into my lap.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by DBR Jules1972, Mar 3, 2019.

?

Looking for a proper bid range for this job.

1. low end bid...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. high end bid...

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DBR Jules1972

DBR Jules1972 LawnSite Member

Screenshot (36).png I've seen some great advice given out on this site, so i thought i would give this a shot. I'm a new, small operation geared towards residential, suburban type contracts. I got a call from this apartment complex, and if anything, this is a great excersize in learning to make competitive commercial proposals of this caliber. Oh, and while i don't currently have the staff to cover this, i do have help i can hire.

Here's the breakdown: Total area including bldgs, parking lots and walkways is 849,232 ft sq. Grass needing weekly mow is 117,964 sq ft, spread all over the complex, as you can see. Roughly 350 trees under 10ft, 800 or so odd bushes, ground cover, shrubs. So, weekly mow, trim, edge, fertilize 3x, pruning of trees and shrubs...

I've used a variety of formulas, calculators, and other tools i could find online. I'm very curious as to the wealth of advice and direction to be found here. I admit, i have zero experience bidding on properties this big, so i don't assume to know anything as related to this type of commercial property. Im open to any and all thoughts in regards to turning in a competitive, comprehensive proposal.

Thanks in advance.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Where are you? What are they expecting from you? How many guys work for you? How long will it take you? What type of quality are they wanting? What type of equipment do you have? Need?

3. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

What equipment do you currently have? Some of those areas look a little tight, lots of parking spaces (carsto get debris from under). The trimming and cleanup of 800 bushes...whew.

Heck i need to wrap my head around this before saying any more!

I’m following this closely. Definitely a learning opportunity!

DBR Jules1972 likes this.
  4. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Tag, just because i want to know what the others have to say!

Spartan57 likes this.
  5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You mulching anything?

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

2.71 acres of grass-----I don't know how many weeks you mow at your location. I don't know how many linear feet of edging either. This is need for bid.
    Fertilizer--- what kind does the soil need. Has a soil test been done?
    Shrubs and bushes are not a one size fits all approach. Must know what your looking at.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

8. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

low end or high end I don't go in and bid anything low end I would rather be high and know im covered and get the price I need rather than get it cheap and lose my rear. If I go in with a price and it to high and they don't go than I don't need it and not going to lose my butt.

9. OP
    OP
    DBR Jules1972

I dont believe there were any areas to mulch, no.

10. OP
    OP
    DBR Jules1972

Heavy edging, 5k ft. We mow thru September. No soil test. I understand information is lacking when it comes to the ground cover, shrubs, etc. Light pruning and fertilizer, keeping an eye out for bug infestation... pretty general stuff i believe.

Doc8406 likes this.