Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread, I determined that the weed I'm trying to kill is Horseherb (has a picture of my lawn for ref)

I found this product which was the only herbicide at Lowes that was labelled for killing clover on St Augustine (other than Roundup for Lawns, which seems to have the same ingredients for a higher cost). Seems to be a broadleaf post-emergent herbicide. But it doesn't list Horseherb or Cinderella Weed in the long list of weeds killed in the pull-out label; I can't find any that list it even online.

Seems to have the 2,4D and most other ingredients that 3-way has, diluted to consumer strength, perhaps diluted more for St. Ag.

I'm thinking to try this on a small area and see how it works at killing the Horseherb without killing the Bermuda. I'm going to avoid the new St Ag sod for now since it's labelled for "established grass", but the intention would be to use it on the St Ag too in a few months.

One question is how the temperature sensitivity works... the label says "Apply when daytime temps are betw 45 and 90 degrees. Do not apply this produce to St Ag when the temp is above 85 degrees unless temp turf injury can be tolerated."

In my area (Austin, TX) the afternoon highs are typically in the mid 90s right now, but mornings are much less (say 75 degrees). Does this mean I'm okay to apply on a cool morning, or should I wait until after summer?

·
Registered
989 Posts
No 2-4D ever on St Ag. No 3-way products. Go to DoMyOwn.com, or Amazon, buy Celsius, read the label, and spray it yourself in a sprayer. READ THE LABEL.

No 2-4D on anything when its a high of 85+, wait until late afternoon/evening if spraying on bermuda. Do not spray in the morning, you don't want it sitting on the leaves when the temps heat up. In the afternoon, the dew overnight will tend to save the grass for the next day. If highs are over 90 and staying there all week, just don't apply 2-4D at all. Celsius instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I read the label for Celsius WG and it does seem like the way to go, just wish there was a way to buy less than 10 oz since my 1500 sq ft lawn will not use that bottle up in the 3 yr lifetime. But I did find a yearly household waste collection for my county that will accept it.

While googling around I came upon this detailed guide to controlling weeds on st ag:

So it seems like Celsius WG will be the pre post emergent to use now. As far as post pre emergent for spring and fall, prodiamine or dithiopyr seem popular although they seem to target crabgrass which has not been a big issue for me.

I will consider atrazine as a post pre emergent, in weed and feed, perhaps in addition to the post pre emergents above,

·
Registered
989 Posts
I read the label for Celsius WG and it does seem like the way to go, just wish there was a way to buy less than 10 oz since my 1500 sq ft lawn will not use that bottle up in the 3 yr lifetime. But I did find a yearly household waste collection for my county that will accept it.

While googling around I came upon this detailed guide to controlling weeds on st ag:

So it seems like Celsius WG will be the pre emergent to use now. As far as post emergent for spring and fall, prodiamine or dithiopyr seem popular although they seem to target crabgrass which has not been a big issue for me.

I will consider atrazine as a post emergent, in weed and feed, perhaps in addition to the post emergents above,
No read the link again, Celsius is a post emergent. And don't worry about the lifetime on the bottle, its dry, it can last longer than 3 years, and you will use it.

Atrazine will nuke the bermuda. Atrazine is a safe all purpose sub for 3-way for StAg, not bermuda.

Prodiamine and Dimension (dithiopyr) are PRE emergents. They prevent weeds from coming up, those go down on a strict regimen and then you will rarely have to use the Atrazine or Celsius.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@takervader thanks for catching that; I had a brain fart and reversed pre/post; I edited my post above to correct my error.

I found a scale designed for "better living through chemistry" to weigh my Celsius since the graduated cup is not going to give the precision I need for 1 gallon applications.

Amazon won't ship Celsius to me for some reason but there seem to be smaller companies that will. I'm going to order some.

From what I've been reading atrazine has both pre and post emergent effects.

Perhaps I'll start out with atrazine as my pre since it seems cheaper and more available through consumer channels than Prodiamine and Dimension (dithiopyr). I'll apply the atrazine in the fall after the heat, and again in the spring. Maybe that would be enough, and if not maybe I'll try prodiamine next.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
@takervader thanks for catching that; I had a brain fart and reversed pre/post; I edited my post above to correct my error.

I found a scale designed for "better living through chemistry" to weigh my Celsius since the graduated cup is not going to give the precision I need for 1 gallon applications.

Amazon won't ship Celsius to me for some reason but there seem to be smaller companies that will. I'm going to order some.

From what I've been reading atrazine has both pre and post emergent effects.

Perhaps I'll start out with atrazine as my pre since it seems cheaper and more available through consumer channels than Prodiamine and Dimension (dithiopyr). I'll apply the atrazine in the fall after the heat, and again in the spring. Maybe that would be enough, and if not maybe I'll try prodiamine next.
.057-,113, should be on the enclosed cup. Or 3.2 grams. Easily found. Do my own pest control answers it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In this thread, I determined that the weed I'm trying to kill is Horseherb (has a picture of my lawn for ref)

I found this product which was the only herbicide at Lowes that was labelled for killing clover on St Augustine (other than Roundup for Lawns, which seems to have the same ingredients for a higher cost). Seems to be a broadleaf post-emergent herbicide. But it doesn't list Horseherb or Cinderella Weed in the long list of weeds killed in the pull-out label; I can't find any that list it even online.

Seems to have the 2,4D and most other ingredients that 3-way has, diluted to consumer strength, perhaps diluted more for St. Ag.

I'm thinking to try this on a small area and see how it works at killing the Horseherb without killing the Bermuda. I'm going to avoid the new St Ag sod for now since it's labelled for "established grass", but the intention would be to use it on the St Ag too in a few months.

One question is how the temperature sensitivity works... the label says "Apply when daytime temps are betw 45 and 90 degrees. Do not apply this produce to St Ag when the temp is above 85 degrees unless temp turf injury can be tolerated."

In my area (Austin, TX) the afternoon highs are typically in the mid 90s right now, but mornings are much less (say 75 degrees). Does this mean I'm okay to apply on a cool morning, or should I wait until after summer?
You need sethoxydim and change up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts