1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Impact for truck lugs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, Jun 14, 2020.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a battery powered impact for blades and small stuff. I needed an air operated for larger truck lugs. Will this be big enough?

KIMG2489.JPG

KIMG2483.JPG

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 LawnSite Member
    from Ny

I have the Milwaukee gun for my 2500. Takes the lugs right off.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

My Milwaukee M18 Hi Torque will remove lug nuts on my 550/5500s.

Haven't tried it on anything larger as we usually let the tire guys remove them. Or mechanics if they're working on brakes.

4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

That should work fine. 1/2 inch drive?

5. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No problem taking the bolts off..saved stress on my body.

KIMG2493.JPG

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well got everything back together. This impact was barely enough but if I went bigger would need bigger compressor.

KIMG2499.JPG

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much any full size 1/2" impact wrench is going to have the same amount of air consumption. Don't expect any big differences there. Since impacts only take intermittent use, any compressor can run them, though you may be limited when using a pancake.

As for power, there's a pretty wide range of torque claims across the market. Yours, at 750 ft-lbs puts it in the middle of the field, well ahead of most older designs. I currently use an IR 2235 QTiMAX, which claims 1300 ft-lbs. Is it nearly twice as powerful as yours? I highly doubt it. But it is very quiet.

To get the most out of your impact, you need good airflow with minimal restrictions. For example, don't expect full power out of a coil hose, or if you have a QD at the compressor end of your hose.

Crazy 4 grass and ed2hess like this.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

yup hose size and compressor makes alot of difference in how your impact works

zlandman likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

And size of fittings. Also reserve capacity when breaking them loose.

10. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Also to get everything the gun has use actual heavy wall impact Sockets opposed to the chrome standard sockets. The heavy wall sockets transfer more energy while impacting.