1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Impact wrench for changing blades

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spitfire3416, Mar 29, 2020.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

For years I’ve been having my mower shop change and sharpen the blades on my mowers. I want to start having my workers change them. I tried using my ryobi impact driver to loosen the nuts but not too much luck. (Only 2000 impacts per minute). This impact wrench here says it produces up to 3200 impacts per minute. Should I expect this to be sufficient enough in removing the nuts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...Vh4FaBR3A9A1nEAQYBCABEgKIJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Guitargain

Guitargain LawnSite Member

3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Just get out a breaker bar and get those spindle bolts loosened. Then use the ryobi from here on out and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. OP
    OP
    spitfire3416

Do you think 300 lbs of torque enough to tighten them though? The ones the guys use in the shop I believe are closer to around 1500 lbs of torque. I wanna be sure that they’re not going to constantly become loosened while cutting.

5. OP
    OP
    spitfire3416

I was originally looking at this one actually. I might go with this if I decide not to get the ryobi. I already have a bunch of ryobi tools though so I figured it would make more sense to stay with the same brand so the batteries and chargers were compatible.

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

The ryobi may be rated fro 300 ft/lbs of tourge but most likely in this application is only going to deliver around 75 ft/lbs of torque give or take. I've seen spindle bolts require anywhere between 65 to 120 ft/lbs of torque so the ryobi should be just fine. I personally tighten spindle bolts by hand to maybe 65 ft/lbs and if I have to change a blade in the field I don't have any problems.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

How tight are you guys going? Sheesh, my 18v dewalt still puts them on and takes them off with very little issues. Occasionally if I hit something and they tighten up I’ll have to bust out the air impact but that’s like maybe twice a year.

Midwest Lawns likes this.
  8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

1/2” Milwaukee high torque impact, put them on on first setting, take them off on second setting

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

[​IMG]

knox gsl and TrainingWheels like this.
  10. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing LawnSite Fanatic
    from Ontario

not going to do to much without a battery ;)Thumbs Up:drinkup: