Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a corded Black & Decker 1/2" drive impact wrench.
$60.00
It wont budge the blade bolt.
I dont see in the manual how many ft/lbs i've got
I've never handled one before, but this one seems a bit...weak?

I dont want to do this manually.

I guess I simply need a bigger / stronger wrench?

I'm open for suggestions.

:dizzy:

· Registered
582 Posts
Ran into same problem,1/2 impact wouldn't budge em..Had to wedge a 15"cresent under deck,then put a 5ft cheater pipe on long handle ratchet..We whooped it,but I have NEVER seen anything like it before..:(

· Registered
243 Posts
Dewalt has an electric and a cordless (battery) impact wrench that will work with no problems. The real problem here is that B&D is very poor quality. Even though Dewalt is make by B&D, Dewalt is their commercial line. What you are trying to use is a homeowner tool and it's just not powerful enough.

· Registered
387 Posts
i have a makita 12v 1/2 drive cordless impact gun, it works great. i use it for takin off mower blades, changin edger blades,work in on the quad thing is great. it came in real handy last winter when i got a flat plowing on christmas night.
i highly recommend it.

· Registered
15,227 Posts
The Black and Decker electric impacts normally put out around 240 ft. lbs of torque. When you do get these seriously over-torqued blade bolts loose can I suggest that you use a torque wrench to reinstall them as per manufacturers specs? It really makes things a lot easier.

· Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Martin
The Black and Decker electric impacts normally put out around 240 ft. lbs of torque. When you do get these seriously over-torqued blade bolts loose can I suggest that you use a torque wrench to reinstall them as per manufacturers specs? It really makes things a lot easier.
i think you better check your source of info again, dont mean to flame but i seriously doubt a cordless gun puts out more power then an air gun.
besides most cordless guns are rated in INCH pounds.

· Banned
789 Posts
Get a nice big compressor and those bolts will be begging for mercy ;) I have a 60 gal compressor and love the thing. Never had any problems getting bolts off, unless the tank pressure was really low. The smaller compressors don't have the balls to do that work. If you really can't get the thing off, get your sawzall out with a metal blade. They will go through the spindle bolt like a hot knife through butter.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I've been out for a while
Lemme catch up

I'm not really looking to invest in an air compressor.

When I said "corded", I meant with a plug...to put into an outlet...

Richard, I'm dealing with a dealer installed blade.
I have a torque wrench. Not sure about if my dealer does lol

Are you sure about 240 ft/lbs?
How am I supposed to do better than that?

· Registered
24 Posts
Drive down to your local tire shop and ask one of the guys to take it off with one of there air guns.
Trust me it will come off. They don't run out of air like the small compressors do at home. Plus some shops may have a 3/4 gun for taking wheels of big trucks.
Good luck

· Registered
1,537 Posts
I have an electric Makita that does a good job. There have been a couple times it didn't have the nads to do it. But other than that it's been a real time saver. Bought it on Ebay used for about $70.

· Registered
367 Posts
Ran into same problem,1/2 impact wouldn't budge em..Had to wedge a 15"cresent under deck,then put a 5ft cheater pipe on long handle ratchet..We whooped it,but I have NEVER seen anything like it before..
We just went through EXACTLY the same thing. We had to take the mower in for the 100 hour service. Next time my husband tried to change the blades, he couldn't get them off. He worked on getting those blades off for like 2 days. We had to mow with them and they were dull as could be.

I made sure I stayed away from the garage when he was trying to get them off. It was all cussing and throwing things out there...All I know is I was NOT going to offer my help, staying away was a much better idea. I think he finally got them off with a cheater bar. He has an air compressor and I remember him saying impact wrench, so I'm know he tried that route and it didn't work.

· Registered
8,205 Posts
Originally posted by fblandscape
If you really can't get the thing off, get your sawzall out with a metal blade. They will go through the spindle bolt like a hot knife through butter.
THEN WHAT???

Now you only have 1/4" nub of a cut off 5/8" bolt that is frozen inside your spindle shaft. What are you going to grab that little nub with?

You'd have to then drill it out and hope you don't drill crooked and screw the spindle shaft threads up.

I have a cheapie Central Pneumatic 1/2" inpact running off a 30 gal compressor. While its not the most powerful gun, I was never left wanting more power from it on my mowers. I use the #2 power setting for installation and removal. All impacts have a higher torque rating in reverse than they do forward.

These tight ones you guys are talking about must have been cross threaded or put on by a gorilla with a big impact.

· Banned
789 Posts
I had to cut a bolt off of one of my spindles this spring. All I did was get my sawzall, plug it in, go right on top of the spindle and cut through the nut and bolt. After that all I did was take a center punch with a hammer, gave it a small tap and the bolt slid down to the ground.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.