1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

impact wrench wont budge blade bolts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Island Lawn, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a corded Black & Decker 1/2" drive impact wrench.
    $60.00
    It wont budge the blade bolt.
    I dont see in the manual how many ft/lbs i've got
    I've never handled one before, but this one seems a bit...weak?

I dont want to do this manually.

I guess I simply need a bigger / stronger wrench?

I'm open for suggestions.

:dizzy:

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

invest in an air compressor and nice air impact wrench for the shop/garage. a compressor is a great tool to have around too

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Ran into same problem,1/2 impact wouldn't budge em..Had to wedge a 15"cresent under deck,then put a 5ft cheater pipe on long handle ratchet..We whooped it,but I have NEVER seen anything like it before..:(

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Dewalt has an electric and a cordless (battery) impact wrench that will work with no problems. The real problem here is that B&D is very poor quality. Even though Dewalt is make by B&D, Dewalt is their commercial line. What you are trying to use is a homeowner tool and it's just not powerful enough.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Bring it over, my IR Thundergun will get them out :D If a compressor and good air impact is out of the question, you need to move on to a better cordless.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

torch it off:blob2:

7. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a makita 12v 1/2 drive cordless impact gun, it works great. i use it for takin off mower blades, changin edger blades,work in on the quad thing is great. it came in real handy last winter when i got a flat plowing on christmas night.
    i highly recommend it.

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Something I always do also is put some anti-seize on the bolts before tightening them back up. I use that stuff on everthing I swear by it, works great. Comes in a really small tube but you dont need much.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Black and Decker electric impacts normally put out around 240 ft. lbs of torque. When you do get these seriously over-torqued blade bolts loose can I suggest that you use a torque wrench to reinstall them as per manufacturers specs? It really makes things a lot easier.

10. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i think you better check your source of info again, dont mean to flame but i seriously doubt a cordless gun puts out more power then an air gun.
    besides most cordless guns are rated in INCH pounds.