Impeller motor for Toro?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marine03112, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have one of these go bad on them. Only into second season with my toro and the motor that drives the impeller is hesitating and then slowing down to a crawl. If anyone had a similar issue let me know and how you corrected it. Took it apart to get at it cleaned it out back together and still having the same issue.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure it is actually the motor--and not a problem with the rheostat controller switch. (Dirt--corrosion). A good mower shop should be able to help you.
    Or an auto electric shop. Or auto starter rebuild shop.
    Or--replace the motor with a slightly used blower motor from any auto junkyard. (Or power window motor.)
    Or...
    https://gemplers.com/products/remco-pump-motors

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

6628155A-DC1D-4D26-A840-407449D8FF12.jpeg Here is the motor. It’s under warranty

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Boy that sucks i would check the connections and make sure it has a good ground. Than order another one

zlandman likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Well Charles when I get the warranty replacement I will see if that’s the issue. If it isn’t then I will do as you say. Thanks for the info for further troubleshooting

6. RigglePLC

Fertilizer--high humidity--and copper wire--this can be problematical.
    Copper wire can turn to green dust wherever the connections are not air tight.
    Pull on the wires--sometimes only 3 of 12 strands remain. New wire and fatter wire is better. Redo any splice or connection that is not perfect. You need all 12 volts. Check the voltage --it should read 14.5 volts the when the motor is running and the generator is working. Of course you need the full amperage available also--maybe you have enough volts--but not enough watts. Scrape the wires clean--connections must be bare metal to bare metal.
    Once connected and tight--cover connections with silicone irrigation sealer or seal with hot glue, air tight.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Marine03112 and zlandman like this.
  7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

good luck it suck when you got work to do and you need parts

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Thanks bud. I have a backup machine and now that we are getting rain I can get back in my aeration list. I always knew having a backup machine is vital if you have the resources to have a backup. Thanks.

CHARLES CUE likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Thanks bud. I did check all connections. There clean now. There all right. Haven’t checked voltage yet. Don’t have a multimeter. Getting one at autozone tomorrow. Will keep you all posted. Funny know one else has had this probleM.

hort101 likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

Marine03--one additional possible solution--if you still have problems.
    It is probably possible on most spreader sprayers to drive the impeller from the big 12 inch pulley on the top of the transmission.
    Just weld a short shaft to the center of the pulley shaft. Connect this to the impeller shaft so that they spin at the same speed. 6 to 1 reduction from your motor rpm. Naturally, you need a flexible coupler or rubber hose to make this connection.
    Orange County Choppers or any good motor cycle shop should be able to do this.
    They would probably need to move the hopper forward an inch or 3. Needs to line up vertical and straight.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019