Improvements to make current ZTR's more user friendly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JLH52, Dec 4, 2019.

1. JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

When I’m mowing I'm constantly thinking of improvements that I would like to see on current ZTR's that would benefit us. Improvements that would help us be more efficient and productive in this line of work.

Compared to the auto industry and other industries, with the technology available today the advancement in mower technology seems to be lagging far behind. A few small tweaks on being made but nothing major. I admit that each company is adding their latest improvements but there is no mower on the market that stands head and shoulders above the rest. Why is this?

Here are a few things I would be willing to pay for without question of cost. I'm sure there are many more. Please add yours to the list.

1. Electric or Hydraulic flip up deck, full 90 degrees to clean under deck and change blades.
    2. Under side of deck coated from manufacturer with some type of material that nothing would stick to and also resist abrasion when cutting sandy conditions.
    3. Speedometer and tachometer, also power band indicator showing optional range to be most fuel efficient and to show max speed utilizing power of motor without overloading.
    This could be done using different colored lights to show optimum power range.
    4. Reduce noise level significantly.
    5. Seat totally isolated from the shock of bumps and rough terrain.
    6. Complete 4 wheel independent suspension, superior to what's available today.
    7. Eliminate grease zerks by using all sealed bearings.
    8. Push button hydraulic deck lift that could be used continuously, not just to quickly override an obstacle. To move deck from lowest to highest position and hold it during operation.

How much would you be willing pay for the improvements that you would like to see? Would you pay $20K or $25K or what would be your limit?

With the ingenuity and progress that has happened in America in recent years I don't see these ideas as being unreasonable or unrealistic. We've been from the bottom of the ocean to the moon and everywhere in between, because someone had a vision that it could be done.

Maybe someone who has some interest in our ideas who has the ability and financial backing to pursue these ideas will happen to read this and be interested in designing a new mower or improving what's available today.

I look forward to others ideas and opinions.

2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler makes a flip deck mid mount. It wasn’t a huge success due to added cost. Independent 4 wheel suspension already exist ( Ferris ). A separate suspension seat already exists. A hydraulic deck lift already exist ( Kubota). Even if you had a quieter motor the deck makes a lot of noise.

3. OP
    OP
    JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

l'm aware that the features you mentioned already exist but I’m not interested in buying several different mowers to get each feature. I want a mower that has combined all the features into one product. The Ferris suspension is not the greatest, it has room for improvement. The current suspension seats are also lacking.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

hydro lift is a bad idea on the deck. you need settings to show what height you are cutting at.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

not looking fir anymore bells an whistles, maybe a carbon fiber deck to reduce weight however, an a train air horn could be fun

sjessen and hal like this.
  6. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

While some of those features may be nice to have on one unit, I'm not willing to pay 10-15k more for hydraulic flip up decks, etc. Just another system to maintain vs grabbing a jack and going to town.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  7. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Take them as is, for now. They make too many improvements we'll all be looking for different workThumbs Up

ARN Greencare and Bumpmaster like this.
  8. Bumpmaster

maybe a cigerette lighter

9. Bumpmaster

cold cup holders would be great with vented seats:cool2:

10. SMC LC

SMC LC LawnSite Member

I skip the jack all together, love me some rhino ramps!

douglee25 likes this.