Improving my driveway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Advance_lawn_care, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member

Wanting to put down some gravel but I want to put something to hold it in place. Was hoping to use landscape timbers and drive 3 1 foot 3/8 rebar stakes thru them to hold them to the ground. Would like to be able to drive over them with my truck or ztr. Think it will work.
    Ideas?

Or I could use rail road ties. If I cut them in half they are about 3.5 inches thick. Could use landscape stakes at lowes to hold them if needed. Their weight alone might hold them in place. If cut in half the price will be close to the landscape timbers and the product should be better.

Other option with the railroad ties is bury them about 3 inches deep to hold them in place. Double my cost in ties tho since I cant cut them in half.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Burying the railroad ties half way would be better than landscape ties. Cutting the railroad ties in half would be a pain to do and won't be as secure. As long as you can find some decent railroad ties that aren't all rotted out already.

3. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Edit: I think burying them halfway is the way I'm going to go. More work and money but the result will be worth it...

4. Mumblingboutmowers

Those are not new at Lowes. I got them once from there. They were ok.

5. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Good to know, how long did they last?

6. Mumblingboutmowers

They've been in the ground now for a few years and seem to be ok so far. Just pay attention when loading them and throw any bad ones aside. Talk to your friend first too about cutting them, he might not be willing to cut them. Might ruin his blade if he hits a chunk of metal in a tie, which is a possibility when cutting into "used" timber. Also realize that 1/2 ties are not going to last as long as full ties.

7. OP
    OP
    Advance_lawn_care

Yea, going to go full ties if I go that route. At $20 for 8 feet I can start considering blocks for the same price. If I go with blocks or pavers I'll probably dig a trench and set them in a bed of concrete. If it comes close to same price per ft block with last longer and be better. Only reason I was considering wood was to save money. I'll look at block and concrete options and see how they compare on cost.