1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

in the beggining.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hey, i was just thinking about my first few customers as a lawn boy, a long time ago, and some of the dumb stuff i did. here are a few: my first lawn cutting client, i charged $15 per cut, then discounted it 10% for a senior rate. i cut his lawn 12 times for $13.50 each visit, finally i thought it would be a good idea to get paid, he insisted i was only there twice all year, i said screw it, but my wife went over and argued in the street with the guy for half an hour, and still only left with $27. then there was my first landscape job, some goldthreads, a spiral juniper. i fertilized each plant with a cup of lawn fert i had laying around, a month later they were all skeletons. then i thought i would go into the fertilizing business. picked up 8 clients. fertilized each one with a scotts drop spreader. every one of them called and complained about the stripes in thier lawn. but the real disaster happened when i went back and tried to fix it. then there was my first mulch job. i told the client he needed one yard, it would cost $30. i ended up using 4 yards for the job, for a grand total loss of $34. lets hear it boys and girls, how did your first few jobs work out?

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

One of my first jobs 12 years ago, I was unloading my 18hp 42" Crapsman LT from a 6 ft wooden trailer I bought. Backing it off using 2 2x6's as ramps, one slipped out from under the wheels and the whole tractor flipped backwards and landed upside down. Fortunately I was able to jump off. That's when you look around to see who else saw it. Not a smart move.

3. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How many times have we done that.:D

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have had jobs where it ended up costing me money to do the work, I think back on what I use to price out jobs at, and think the customers must have been looking out the window while I was doing the job, laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    You lose and you learn:D

5. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

One of our first job the client was blind he fired us after about a month said we weren't cuttin the grass short enough.
    Tried to talk to him but he could still slam doors.:laugh: :laugh:

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Getting fired by a blind guy is pretty bad
    :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LOL, what???

8. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Yeah I know but we did everthing right found out the neighbors were tellin' him we weren't cuttin' the grass

9. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::cry: :laugh::cry:

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Five years ago; the first time I tried to start my lawn company I had a 21" push mower, blower, trimmer and gas cans shoved in the back of a Honda Civic hatchback. Then made a ton of flyers advertising $15/week. Had a business man call me up and rip into me for destroying my own market by not charging enough. Ended up only getting 3 customers after handing out 6000 flyers.