Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can we stop talking about all the equipment we have in our sig and instead put helpful info like your age and years in the business?? my sig is a bit sarcastic because i dont care how many different trimmers you have and each ones model number and cc and color. i also dont care how many trailers one may have. about the only thing i really see useful is possibly mower brand for comparisons, but even then you can add that in to a thread of necessary.

i dont feel the need to list all my equiptment. i know some will say but people wont be honest, but i think most will. it will help give you a better understanding of who were talking to. perhaps also list if your full time or doing this on the side. that can make a huge difference to people doing this full time when trying to make educated descisions on running thier business.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This is true, I laugh when I see guys who list "lots of hand tools, one red wheelbarrow and four gas cans" After being in the business for 15 years, listing my equipment would only look like bragging. The important thing is I still love it and I can support my family. I've had people come in my shop and comment they didn't know how many pieces of equipment I owned. It's all part of doing business.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There - you guys convinced me to make my sig smaller and add some relevant information.
Btw, I agree with you guys somewhat about the equipment, but I find it informative when guys list it, as long as it doesn't take up the whole darn page.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There - you guys convinced me to make my sig smaller and add some relevant information.
Btw, I agree with you guys somewhat about the equipment, but I find it informative when guys list it, as long as it doesn't take up the whole darn page.
Yeh, I actually look in the signature to see what the person has. If the post doesn't give a good description of say one of their mowers they may be asking about, I refer to the sig for a model number or something. That's just me though. Either way with the sigs are fine with me.
St. Louis? I'm in Festus.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeh, I actually look in the signature to see what the person has. If the post doesn't give a good description of say one of their mowers they may be asking about, I refer to the sig for a model number or something. That's just me though. Either way with the sigs are fine with me.
St. Louis? I'm in Festus.
Festus, huh? Can't say I've ever done any work that direction. Most of my business comes from Creve Coeur, Maryland Heights, U. City, Chesterfield etc.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Festus, huh? Can't say I've ever done any work that direction. Most of my business comes from Creve Coeur, Maryland Heights, U. City, Chesterfield etc.
Hey, no problem. I don't see many members from "our" area on here. I bet you do get a lot of business from those areas, lots of people.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
LOL. let's not forget the generator and trash pump! Now THOSE are super relevant to most in te business...especially those with two pushmowers and an old lawn tractor!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ha!- my S-10 with a 13' plow beats yours!
I can honestly say I've never looked at someones signature to see what equipment they have. I have, however, checked to see how many posts, how many years in 'LEGIT' business, etc.
I think putting years in biz, and experience (even if relevant ie: customer service, mechanical training, etc.) would be more helpful.
I am going to work on my signature.

Matt.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It kind of makes sense, as on an automotive forum, most people will list their car(s) and any mods, assecories, ect. in their signature. However anyone that has been in this business full time for more than five years could probably fill two pages if they listed everything down to the last trimmer.

I remember once when I had lawnsite up, a friend (who does not work in the industy) came over. When he saw someones signature, he got a confused look on his face and being completly serious, he said, "Isn't it just assumed that anyone on this site would have that type of stuff?"

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I dropped the list of equipment a while back. I like having the main equipment posted though, I've found people are more accepting to your opinions about certian mowers when they see that you own whatever it is you are talking about. Gives a person a little more credibility.

I think the younger crowd and the newbies get all cought up in what they have, but hey, they are proud of everything they own! I like the idea of making the sig. a smaller font. I'm glad most people STOPPED using the huge pictures in their sig lines. This site has enough crap on the screen already (ads).

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
What a bunch of whiners, Many Forums police signatures to the point of editing the content at will. I am thankful for the privilege, liberal "free speech" format, and the ability to have a personal signature.

Your given 500 characters, to use for what up choose:usflag:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
most all of the reason i pointed it out is because to me seems more like bragging than anything useful. listing years in business and age will give you a better understanding of who is giving you advice. obviously we take what advice we think and ignore the rest but it does separted the many boys from the men....not to say arent great hard workers or know what they are doing, just that they havent been around the block yet and probably arent tyring to pay a morgage while buying all their brand new equiptment.

but like some say...to each his own

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Ok, so now were bragging on the number of account, years of service, insurance policies, etc. Would think this type of signature would offend someone also, is this any improvement over listing equipment. I do pay my Mortgage, and purchase "name brand equipment" :laugh: This is, as if, not moe childish than "listing" your equipment in signature, sounds like personal problem with signatures like OCD. "When your side of the street is totally clean? then you can come on my side to complain"

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Ok, so now were bragging on the number of account, years of service, insurance policies, etc. Would think this type of signature would offend someone also, is this any improvement over listing equipment. I do pay my Mortgage, and purchase "name brand equipment" :laugh: This is, as if, not moe childish than "listing" your equipment in signature, sounds like personal problem with signatures like OCD. "When your side of the street is totally clean? then you can come on my side to complain"
I don't consider listing your workload bragging. Your just listing your abilities, and work experience.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i agree list your years in bus not you equipment, if some of us here list our equipment it would be pages worth and who cares about hand helds,and even lawn mowers i would rather glance over at who is they are what experience they have, i said this in one of my threads i started

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.