Including this in employee handbook

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Looking at implementing an employee handbook this year, as we have certain contracts/ RFP’s that require it. I wanted to get some ideas on what to include, so far I’ve got it broken down into a few main items. I don’t want to seem like I’m micromanaging them, but also it is a job, and there are rules.

Compensation - when checks are cut, taxes, form of deposit.

Benefits

company mission statement

Days of work and when to show up

drugs and alcohol and tobacco.

sick days/ PTO

reporting injuries

reporting equipment malfunctions

proper use of safety equipment

I’m also curious especially those that do snow, about including something regarding CCW, I’d like to include that it is the recommendation of the company that weapons for self defense only be carried concealed unless otherwise prohibited by law.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Good luck trying to get your workers to not use drugs alcohol and tobacco. This industry is ridden with it. You might be able to drug test them but they’re going to drink and smoke regardless. Maybe “no smoking in company trucks” but you know they will be finding ways to milk the clock and take smoke breaks. Or worse smoke cigs while they are riding the mower.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Good luck trying to get your workers to not use drugs alcohol and tobacco. This industry is ridden with it. You might be able to drug test them but they’re going to drink and smoke regardless. Maybe “no smoking in company trucks” but you know they will be finding ways to milk the clock and take smoke breaks. Or worse smoke cigs while they are riding the mower.
Having it in the handbook as policy and enforcement are two different things. It's good to have policies in writing should the need ever arise. Same goes for documentation of employees offenses in writing.

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
To that end, there are companies that have "smoking/tobacco cessation" programs in place.

OP
Andrew H

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
What they do on their own time is their business, but there are properties that prohibit smoking, there are contracts that require drug testing. Drinking alcohol on the job or showing up intoxicated, I would hope everyone here has an issue with that. And not having felons work for you is another one.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
What they do on their own time is their business, but there are properties that prohibit smoking, there are contracts that require drug testing. Drinking alcohol on the job or showing up intoxicated, I would hope everyone here has an issue with that. And not having felons work for you is another one.
I wouldn't have a problem with a felon who is committed to a new leaf. Most crimes shouldn't convict people for life. They have the right to get themselves together and contribute to society.