Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21" craftsman push mower that I just use on a couple yards and always wondered why it doesnt cut that well even with a sharp blade, I figured that the blade tip speed is pretty low and figured I could get a better cut if the RPM's were higher.Anyone know how to increase the RPM's on a small 6hp engine?Im not worried about the mowers decreased lifespan because of this,Whenever one of these gets beyond fixing I just pick up another one.(disposable mowers).Is it basically just adjusting the carb or can I remove the governor?Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
unfortunately, the blade tip speed is governed by A.N.S.I and a shop increasing it leaves them wide open for a lawsuit if an accident occurs. check with a tach and make sure the underside of the deck is clean and also the sails aren't worn off the blades.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a 21" craftsman push mower that I just use on a couple yards and always wondered why it doesnt cut that well even with a sharp blade, I figured that the blade tip speed is pretty low and figured I could get a better cut if the RPM's were higher.Anyone know how to increase the RPM's on a small 6hp engine?Im not worried about the mowers decreased lifespan because of this,Whenever one of these gets beyond fixing I just pick up another one.(disposable mowers).Is it basically just adjusting the carb or can I remove the governor?Thanks for the help.
You should be able to set these to 3400 to 3600. Can you give a model number? It's a 30 second fix to take the revs up. Come back with info.
atb Phil :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If this is on a Briggs Intek, on the front of the mower kind of above the primer bulb, there will be a eyelett looking piece with a spring connected to it. With a pair of pliers, carefully bend this further out from the mower (or bend it back in to reduce the RPMs). This will need to be done while the mower is running, so make sure your toes are not under the deck at the time. Also, should this modification result in injury to you or persons around you or catastrophic damage to the mower or any surrounding property, I cannot be held liable. Just like a store can sell you cigarettes, you can't sue em if you get sick with cancer.

·
Banned
171 Posts
i like how ariens sells theirs at 2,200r's. what's that supposed to do? 3,600 is like industry std. the only time i see something blow by over-reving it is if there's crap or no oil, or it's a 2 cycle with a split crank. and i've seen some quality work accomplished by some superior idiots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.