Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
We can barely find employees
Certification has become LESS common in the last decade, not more common.
I think the only people the cert programs have helped is ALCA/planet/Nalp
It's just not practical
When you can't get any employees in the first place
Narrowing the field would make the problem worse
If that's even possible
Good points on the lack of available employees-it's an issue that's not going away anytime soon. However if you have employees that are long term it would boost their pride in their work to have a certification. And they could mention it to clients as a way to enhance the image of your company as well.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Good points on the lack of available employees-it's an issue that's not going away anytime soon. However if you have employees that are long term it would boost their pride in their work to have a certification. And they could mention it to clients as a way to enhance the image of your company as well.
I go through great lengths to prevent employees from talking to customers.

Not in the business model.
And we don't pay for chatting.
9/10 times they end up offering free work.

·
Banned
495 Posts
You need to look at it another way. Attending workshops and continuing education has been a staple for us, we try and attend any chance we get and we get the whole crew to come. You would be surprised at how often it pays for itself when out dealing with customers, selling work, and diagnosing problems. It does make you and your staff stick out from the rest of the crowd.
Everything you said here is totally true. The skills that I am most interested in are performance-based as the soft skills like customer service, etc. are pretty much my forte. In my area speaking English is standing out from the crowd.

·
Banned
495 Posts
We can barely find employees
Certification has become LESS common in the last decade, not more common.
I think the only people the cert programs have helped is ALCA/planet/Nalp
It's just not practical
When you can't get any employees in the first place
Narrowing the field would make the problem worse
If that's even possible
This is very true and often overlooked. People who, for example, think that because they can't get a job with a Masters degree need to go and get a PhD are furthering themselves even more from the job market by distinguishing themselves in a way that actually makes them less employable, not more. This is like doubling down when you are placing a losing bet. Good post and I agree completely with the practicality angle.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
I’m CLT/CLP/CSP

I let them all lapse
Along with my Cdl

None of which I use for my profession

Out of the thousands of applicants I’ve reviewed/interviewed in the last 10 years
One of two had a CLT.
Colorado and CT

In no other state have I met a CLT
My gosh I’ve met more EMTs casually (I’m met certified I just don’t do it as a profession) applying for a job than I have CLTs!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you send me $99.99 I will send you a certificate that says your certified by Eggy! That's right tell your customers your Eggy certified! What says I'm a pro more then Eggy certification! only 99.99! Act now! Be a pro!

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
I go through great lengths to prevent employees from talking to customers.

Not in the business model.
And we don't pay for chatting.
9/10 times they end up offering free work.
I had my CLP and let it lapse. It was totally worthless.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have certificate from Rutgers University for being a Certified Fertilizer Applicator. I took the online course and passed the test , paid the $25 yearly fee and take continuing education courses.

I asked Dr. Jim Murphy who created the program and still runs it, if I can put in my advertising that I am a "Rutgers University Certified Fertilizer Applicator" and he said I can. So I use this my advertising.

Rutgers University Certified Fertilizer Applicator

https://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/default.aspx

The $25 a year fee is worth it.
How much is the test? You get to take it as many times till you pass?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I think it was free for anyone from any state, and I think you can take it as many times as necessary. Once you pass it cost $25.oo a year to have your name listed, as being certified. And it is available to anyone, regardless of whether they are in the business, or not.

Once you pass, there are opportunities to get the (12 I think) continuing education credits needed over 5 years, either on line or at seminars to continue your certification, or after 5 years you can take the test again. The training is free, and can be accessed through:
https://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/default.aspx

There are people from other states, mostly neighboring listed on the " Certified Applicator" list. The current list is very small, since we need to send in the $25 each beginning of the year & I know I have not received notice that it is open now to pay for another year.

From Rutgers Profact site.
"Anyone interested in fertilizers used for turf is welcome to view the training material (no fee required). Simply click on the Table of Contents tab above to start viewing the training material. If you want to view the training material and receive credit for online certification training, please follow the instructions to the right under Quick Start Guide to Certification."

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
The test costs $75 and trust me if you've been involved with fertilizers and and lawn care treatments for a time you will pass on your first try. You will be immediately registered on the Rutgers site as a Certified Fertilizer Applicator and be able to print your current "License" (for lack of a better word). Good luck and thank you for your interest in continuing education.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
The test costs $75 and trust me if you've been involved with fertilizers and and lawn care treatments for a time you will pass on your first try. You will be immediately registered on the Rutgers site as a Certified Fertilizer Applicator and be able to print your current "License" (for lack of a better word). Good luck and thank you for your interest in continuing education.
Yes this is correct. I was wrong about the free test. Though everything else( study material )is free. After $75, then afterwards every year is $25.

Reactions: Love the Green Biz

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts