Industry Certifications

Discussion in 'NALP' started by TheNALP, Sep 1, 2015.

1. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

I am glad, I am not upset at who wins elections with plans on moving to Canada. Do Canadians cross the border to do work in the USA?

Grassholes likes this.
  2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You can visit us, but it would be difficult to become a citizen. Leave your gun at home, and don't discuss drugs on the internet. Canadians work across the border. I doubt in landscaping though. A lot of us are famous Hollywood personalities and comics. hahaha. Plus, the U.S. just increased the green card fees for us to work down there. Including fees for working musicians. Yet you have a problem with illegal workers from Mexico?

3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone out there planning on taking the NALP Landscape Technician exam this October in NJ? If so please share your plans on how to use this certification either for yourself or as an employee.

4. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, good musicians is about all you guys have going on up there. Of course we charge you more to work here. We have to protect the illegals that undercut the citizens of the US and deter more certified English speakers from entering the country.

5. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

If the State of Florida requires it of me and my guys, we get certified. Application work I sub out, our properties are too large for me to invest in the trucks, tanks and licensing.
    I wish the State required more certifications to put another barrier up to the fly by night guys starting up. I don't give these guys much thought but they do tend to skew the bidding with their pricing. Most of the time they don't have car insurance let alone business insurance.

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

In nearly 19 years I've never had anyone ask about certifications or college experience. We have worked with recent horticulture grads and from my experience they seem to be a bit awoken from what the true day in day out is like. More education and certifications couldnt hurt however by any means, but I've never been approached about it by clients.

Grassholes likes this.
  7. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I only had one guy ever ask me if I had any certs. I would like to do some sort of continuing ed or something like that to demonstrate knowledge of 'best practices' but it does not seem practical if you cannot charge more for the services.

8. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

Then do it for yourself satisfaction and gain of knowledge.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

You need to look at it another way. Attending workshops and continuing education has been a staple for us, we try and attend any chance we get and we get the whole crew to come. You would be surprised at how often it pays for itself when out dealing with customers, selling work, and diagnosing problems. It does make you and your staff stick out from the rest of the crowd.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We can barely find employees
    Certification has become LESS common in the last decade, not more common.
    I think the only people the cert programs have helped is ALCA/planet/Nalp
    It’s just not practical
    When you can’t get any employees in the first place
    Narrowing the field would make the problem worse
    If that’s even possible

Mark Oomkes and Grassholes like this.