Industry Certifications

Discussion in 'NALP' started by TheNALP, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

Good points on the lack of available employees-it's an issue that's not going away anytime soon. However if you have employees that are long term it would boost their pride in their work to have a certification. And they could mention it to clients as a way to enhance the image of your company as well.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I go through great lengths to prevent employees from talking to customers.

Not in the business model.
    And we don’t pay for chatting.
    9/10 times they end up offering free work.

3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand your point. I only let a foreman speak to clients. The rank and file are told to only in emergency situations.

4. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

Everything you said here is totally true. The skills that I am most interested in are performance-based as the soft skills like customer service, etc. are pretty much my forte. In my area speaking English is standing out from the crowd.

5. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

This is very true and often overlooked. People who, for example, think that because they can't get a job with a Masters degree need to go and get a PhD are furthering themselves even more from the job market by distinguishing themselves in a way that actually makes them less employable, not more. This is like doubling down when you are placing a losing bet. Good post and I agree completely with the practicality angle.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m CLT/CLP/CSP

I let them all lapse
    Along with my Cdl

None of which I use for my profession

Out of the thousands of applicants I’ve reviewed/interviewed in the last 10 years
    One of two had a CLT.
    Colorado and CT

In no other state have I met a CLT
    My gosh I’ve met more EMTs casually (I’m met certified I just don’t do it as a profession) applying for a job than I have CLTs!

7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you send me $99.99 I will send you a certificate that says your certified by Eggy! That's right tell your customers your Eggy certified! What says I'm a pro more then Eggy certification! only 99.99! Act now! Be a pro!

8. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

I had my CLP and let it lapse. It was totally worthless.