• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Info needed to sub out irrigation?

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
I received a request today to bid on a commercial property for lawn, fert and irrigation "maintenance" which I'm assuming is the blowout and start up each respective season. We are licensed for all but the irrigation part and I would need to sub the irrigation part out and would need to get a bid from an irrigation company. What info do yall generally need to price this? # of heads, total sq ft etc? Thx in advance.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
I received a request today to bid on a commercial property for lawn, fert and irrigation "maintenance" which I'm assuming is the blowout and start up each respective season. We are licensed for all but the irrigation part and I would need to sub the irrigation part out and would need to get a bid from an irrigation company. What info do yall generally need to price this? # of heads, total sq ft etc? Thx in advance.
Never “Assume”, especially when signing a contract. Irrigation maintenance swings a wide loop, get the specifics then proceed.

Best of luck :)

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
I would start by asking the person thats wanting a commitment from you, what exactly They are expecting.

If they tell you " your the expert you should know", then you can bet the house they expect it all to be covered, and nothing that happens after you commit will they consider to be outside of the prior agreement.

I could be wrong.

Optimal Irrigation Corp.

LawnSite Member
It would be the start up and blow out as well as parts and labour. Probably just shoot the irrigation company the address to the site. If they do commercial and service the area they should have a general idea of what to expect. If you're doing a walkthrough of the site maybe take the irrigation company along so they can at least have look in the mechanical room to see if they are working off the domestic water line or something different. The timer is usually in the same room so they can get an idea of how many zones they'll probably be dealing with.
They probably won't be able to turn the system on depending on when you do the walkthrough, which I would imagine would be before the spring.
Maybe find out the threshold the commercial property will want to see a quote and issue a p.o. at. For example, on commercial properties I service some of the property managers have a $1000 limit before they care to see a quote. Anything under $1000 is just go ahead and do the work and send the invoice, anything over it's provide a quote for review and we'll issue a p.o.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
If I were in your boots I'd find an Irrigator 1st who might be interested and then have him with you when you talk with the perspective customer.
My one thinking on this is irrigation company A walks property then tells LCO company Bthat they already work with that Commercial property C is taking open bids. I always was one to keep ones mouth shut when bidding. At least that's how it was when I sold real estate quit a ways back. I'm supposed to meet later this week. Main guy I need to talk to ended up quarantined at home with covid for the last 2 weeks. Thanks for the input.