Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the deal: I work 3 days a week at my regular job, and I mow 3 days a week. Now, I've had a couple of offers from a previous employer, so I'm thinking about getting back into the corporate world. I have also had a couple of calls from other lco's about buying my business. Right now I'm just weighing my options. Say I were to sell my business, including equipment listed in my signature, what would it be worth? I would have to keep my Dixie Chopper and 1 Echo trimmer to use on my property, but the rest including truck, trailer, mowers, etc, would be sold. Right now I average 20-25 lawns a week, which comes to around $800-$1000 gross weekly. 90% solo, but I do pick up a helper on occasion when I have a large cleanup job to do. So, what do you guys think? Is it worth it to sell and go back to the 9 to 5 thing? Or is it worth it to continue doing what I'm doing, and eventually run my lawn care business full time? Like I said, just weighing my options. No decisions will be made until my wife and I go through the pros and cons of both. Thanks in advance for all your input and advice.

· Registered
156 Posts
It is strictly up to you. What will make you happy? Would you be happier working for someone in a corporate setting, or are you happier setting your own schedule and making your own money? What types of benefits does the corporate job offer, you need to figure out the money amount of those. You have built this company up and it would be hard to get the accounts again starting from scratch. I would figure out what makes you and your family the happiest and then the money will come. Good luck on your decision.

· Registered
156 Posts
I forgot to add on price, I think four cuts would be fair on the yards, and the equipment could be any price. You know the hours and condition, so you should have an idea of what they are worth. I doubt there is a big market for the hand tools, but maybe someone starting out could buy them as a lot.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you already doing 1000 per week with lawn care why not go full time and do 2000.
That's what I'm trying to decide. I think that I could get close to $2000 weekly next year with the right marketing. But, after you back out weekly expenses, I could net the same $ in a corporate setting. Then again, I would be working for someone else, and giving up on my dream of full time self employment.

· Registered
22,069 Posts
That's what I'm trying to decide. I think that I could get close to $2000 weekly next year with the right marketing. But, after you back out weekly expenses, I could net the same $ in a corporate setting. Then again, I would be working for someone else, and giving up on my dream of full time self employment.
Follow your dream, another thing to look at is the corporate world can fire you in 1 day, in lawn care with say 60 accounts it would be doubtful that all 60 would fire you at one time. Some say being self employed is risky, but me personally I feel like working a job is even higher risk.

· Registered
260 Posts
I know its probably different down there but up here around January 15th, year round full time employment seems pretty good. Right now you own your job. Less headaches working for someone else. Your business will only grow. Good luck

· Registered
868 Posts
One of the pro's of selling your accounts is, if you decide the corprate thing doesnt work out, it wont take long to get back into your business at 20 - 25 accounts.Now if you had say 100- 200 accounts that is a tougher decision. I would keep all the equipment and see how it goes if you decide to take the corp job.

· Banned
1,896 Posts
If your dream is to be self employed, then there is your answer. Start marketing earlier in the late winter, spring and NEVER pass up an opportunity to promote your business. If you pick up another 15-20 accounts you could kiss your other gig adios and be on your own. I have turned down large amounts of money to get back in the car biz. Was it tempting.....yeah for a little bit. Then I remember why I got out of it and it isn't tempting at all. Finally remember this, money is good, but it isn't great and no amount of money is worth sacrificing your dreams.

· Registered
509 Posts
Went solo many years ago . Son has a game ; take time off . Daughter has a concert ; take time off . Like I tell people ; I may not have standard time off but I can take my time off when I want to . That is the reward in itself . Your business will grow . It's amazing the opportunities that arrive while you're working . EVERYONE is a potential client . You'll see . Good Luck .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.