1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Input on large sod install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, May 14, 2006.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I've done a few small sod jobs, 1-3k, varying access and some with lots of cutting.

Now, I'm bidding a 17k install. The front is essentially a wide open 100x100 square. Obviously, a wide open large area like this, the sod will go down much quicker than the small areas I've done in the past. I'm looking for a little help in estimating the time it might take to lay this sod.

The 10k front yard again, is wide open. Very few areas to cut around (1 bed, 1 raised planter) It is on a slope, so I don't believe it can be done with big rolls. So, with a CTL to place pallets, and 3 or 4 guys (whichever is most efficient) to stage and place the sod, what's your estimated manhours?

2. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

:cool2: I'm guessing your doing almost 2.5 acres? I always use this equation. Equipment used+ Skill needed (by man by hour) x Time= Labor Price. This is an 8 hour job easy. Two lay the sod, two tighten, one in the loader. Switch every 1.5 hours to keep from getting too tired. Thats my two cents.:cool2:

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

First, it's 17,000 ft2, that's about 1/3 acre. 2nd, 5 guys to lay 2.5 acres of sod in 8 hours????

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd sure love to know what 5 man crew is doing 2 1/2 acres a day.. thats some equation you got there..

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Me to , and I will hire them lol.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

100 dollars a pallet for minor prep and laying is the going rate here.
    Thats labor only.
    I add extra time for any extra grading.
    Thats 3400 dollars.
    Will take 3 to 4 guys a day too complete if the sod arrives in good shape.
    5 guys seem to be the perfect setup for big jobs.
    One triming ,cleaning up and touching up bad spots.3 laying.1 moving the sod and helping.

I try too keep the Skid Steer off the prepped yard as much as possible.
    Most I ahve layed in a day with 2 guys is around 20 pallets.
    Layed 50 pallets the other day with 5 laborers and me finishing the prep work.
    These all are 504 sq foot pallets.

7. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

is the hill still there after all this rain? Is it steep enough that you have to stake it?

8. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Ok I took the 100x 100 as 100000 ft. Which is what in Acres??? Yeah thanks. 5 is a good number smartys!! And what job is 1-3K?? If it takes 5 guys longer than 4 hours to do 1/3 of an acre something is wrong...especially when it has landscaping there. As for hills use a pin.