Ins and Outs of 4.5" grinding wheels, the nitty gritty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    I decided to start a new thread as I just got back from HOURS of searching for a finer-grit wheel than what is sold as standard 4.5" grinding wheel:

    Home Depot and Lowe's ALL sell and ONLY sell the Type 27, whatever this means it has to do with grit and this is a COARSE wheel, there is none other in the aisles.
    Northern Tool also sells the T27 and a few others which are not even labeled but it's all the same COARSE grit.
    Napa sells the 24 grit and the 36 grit, I stared at BOTH for a LONG time and could not see much difference, however the 36 is finer than the 24 -

    Doing a search on Yahoo for 'fine-grit grinding wheel 4.5" fine grit' revealed to me (finally) the HIGHER the number grit, the FINER it is, hence why I figured out 36 grit is finer than 24... However, to get a truly nice FINE grit, one would be looking at a wheel with at least 80 grit or higher, here's the info:
    Grit: 80 (Fine), Grit: 100 (FINE), Grit: 120 (X-FINE).

    But, where to find them...

    So far:
    Shows a 50-grit, which is at best a medium grit, thou still a bit coarse... Just in case, here's the model st0137-makita-4-1/2

    And after many hours of fruitless searching, I give up... If anyone finds a 4.5" fine grit (at least 80 grit would be nice) wheel, please be so kind let us in LOL!
    I think in the end one needs a bench grinder but why wouldn't someone make a 4.5" wheel like this, absolutely nuts!
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

    grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,526

    How about a welding supply store?
  3. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858


    Why do you NEED a finer wheel?

    For finer detail work, and make what you are working on smoother use a layered sanding disk! Also known as a few other things, but I think layered sanding disk is universal. I'm not talking about the round pad that you stick sandpaper too either. This is a grinding wheel for steel, comes in 40, 60, 80, and maybe finer?

    I used them for blade sharpening for years. Makes a beautiful razor sharp edge. Catch is that they also generate a lot of HEAT if you are trying to take off a lot of material at one time, but and small grinding wheel does really...

    They are not cheap! Junk ones can run 4 bucks or so, but ones that last can be 6 to 8 bucks each. I think this is what you are looking for tho...
  4. wanabe

    wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL
    Messages: 943

    Get a flap disk and get-r-done!
  5. Travis Followell

    Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY
    Messages: 2,206

    Yep, a flap disc is what you need. Takes off a lot less metal than a grinding wheel. Their mainly for finish grinding which makes them excellent for sharpening mower blades.

    MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member
    Messages: 48

    get a backer pad and then use type c discs, they are super heavy duty sanding discs made for metal. 16grit to 320grit

    TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 834

    Try McMaster-Carr in Dayton NJ. They probably have a website. If your sharpening mower blades just break down and spend $450 on a blade grinder. It just does a better job. If you're sharpening hedge clippers, I use a worn down 4.5" cutting disk. Brand new the carborundum disk aren't very true so they hop around alot.
  8. kc2006

    kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    I think thats what I used to use at the old place I worked for. The things we used were great, they have a plyable backing on them so its somewhat firm but it will bend away from the metal if you press too hard. I think we used like a 36 grit with them. I have to go to the hardware store today and see if I can find them. A flap wheel and a 4" grinder isn't doing it, just messing up the blades.
  9. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Yes it's for blade sharpening, sorry...
    I always figured anything but a grinding wheel stood the chance of flying apart at high speed and sanding discs wouldn't last long (a grinding wheel does get me 3+ years of use) but from what you're saying, it sounds like what I'll be using is sanding discs then.

    Just out of curiosity and back to another reply, what department of welding supply might I look under?
  10. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Hey what about these kind, will they work:

    Cool-Grinding Flap Style Sanding Discs
    Ideal for grinding and finishing thermal sensitive metals, such as thick-walled stainless steel. The specially treated flaps won't discolor or distort material. These discs have overlapping cloth flaps, alternating between a zirconia alumina-impregnated abrasive flap for aggressive cutting and a flap containing cooling and lubricating agents to minimize the amount of heat generated during operation. Banded to a fiberglass hub, the flaps are layered in a circular pattern. This design allows for grinding and finishing in one operation. Backing pads are not required.
    Angle Flap Discs— Also known as Type 29 discs, they provide maximum contact with the work surface. Work well on contours and curves.
    Flat Flap Discs— Also known as Type 27 discs, they grind more smoothly than angle discs, but are less aggressive. Great for flat surfaces.
    To Order: Please specify grit: 40, 60, or 80.

    And yes, one day I will order a bench grinder but first I need a TABLE LOL!

Share This Page