1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Insane Grading!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paponte, Mar 28, 2007.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well it's official, we have beat our previous grading record for one day. Two machines (CAT 262 & T250 Bobcat) we moved and spread 600yds of fill in one day. Though it's not something I would like to make a habit of, we were put in a position and we unfortunately had to deliver. Needless to say this will be a VERY hefty bill for our client.

My guys always said I was CrAzY, whats the max you guys have ever done? :weightlifter:

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Wow you used skid steers to move that much, an articulated wheel loader and 1 skid steer would have banged that out fast. Thats more than Ive ever done though, the most I did was 400 cubic yards, One guy in the loader, one guy on the skid steer and four guys with grading rakes.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

If those buckets were a yard a piece (I'm guessing smaller), that is a bucket picked up, moved and spread on an average of one every 2 minutes all day for 10 hours. It does sound incredible.

4. paponte

I do agree a loader would be the way to go. Unfortunately I couldn't get one on such short notice, and was put into a position I really didn't care to be in. We did this job for a large contractor that we do alot of work for. He was able to get the fill ahead of time, and I got the call the afternoon before. Not too much room to make other arrangements.

AGLA, yes we have 1yd buckets on the machines and like stated I definitely would not like to make a habit of this. It turned out to be an all day affair, and boy am I feeling it this morning!! We figured it out to be an average of about 28 trips per machine per hour. :cry:

Here's an earlier picture of the job, pretty much at the 1/2 way mark. Notice the pink marking tape. The property is now at that level.

pt jeff.jpg

pt jeff2.jpg

5. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Why wouldn't you use a dozer for that kind of work ? a D-4 will push that much in a day alone.

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

He got the job with not much notice, he had to work with what he had. Sometimes rentals need 3 days notice. After a day like that I would be trying to sleep and feeling like Im still moving around in the skid steer. Looks Good.

7. paponte

I really couldn't push from the street up a hill into the backyard. Thr material had to be moved from teh front of the house into the back then spread and graded.

Like troblandscape said, a loader would have been the way to go, but I just couldn't find one for the following morning.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good. I would of called my cat salesman and he would of got me a loader even if he had to road it to my job site himself!

I assume you charged this guy more then your normal rate.

9. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

One of my friends has a PC400 and a D8... thousands of yards per day when the trucks are able to keep up.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A good operator on a pc400 can load a truck a minute so thats about 600yards an hour. Of course going from job to job takes a couple of days of dismanteling and assembling. :laugh: